About the Archives
Widener University traces its origins to Wilmington, Delaware, where it began in 1821 as a small Quaker school for boys. During the next 180 years the school was transformed numerous times, changing into Pennsylvania Military Academy, Pennsylvania Military College, PMC Colleges, Widener College, and finally Widener University. The holdings of the University Archives document much of this rich and diverse history. Online Web exhibits, including Oral Histories by PMC graduates, give a flavor of life as it was experienced by the many diverse students who have been educated here.
The Archives welcomes donations of documents or artifacts from students, faculty, staff, alumni or community members. Materials from these sources have significantly improved our collections and enabled the Archives to grow.
The mission of the Widener University Archives is to collect, preserve and make available to researchers, materials such as papers, photographs and memorabilia related to the history of Widener and its predecessor institutions. The Archives focuses on assisting Widener administration, faculty, and staff as they work to achieve the goals of the University, as well as assisting students as they research the history of the institution. The Archives also reaches out to the broader community by making its resources available to off-campus researchers. In addition, the Archives partners with the PMC Museum to create exhibits.
- Acquisitions Policy
- Application for Examination of Holdings
- Collection Development Policy
- Deed of Gift
- FERPA Guidelines
- Guidelines for Digitizing Archival Materials
- Guidelines for Using Archival Materials
- Permission to Use Materials from the Widener University Archives
- Reproduction Request Form
- Transfer of Materials Policy
Contact the Archives
Wolfgram Memorial Library
One University Place
Chester, PA 19013
610-499-4591 or 610-499-4376