Selection of Library Material to be added to the collection is based on faculty recommendations, book reviews, and recommended lists in library literature. The basic tool, CHOICE, covering new publications for colleges, is divided into disciplines and distributed to each school and department.
- Usefulness of the publication for ongoing academic programs.
- Need for timelines (e.g. new editions).
- Quality of author and publisher.
- Recommendation from qualified reviews.
- The library does not purchase required textbooks, multiple copies, or personal copies. Research material, if its usefulness is limited to highly individual projects, will be made available on interlibrary loan from other libraries. Budget limitations make it necessary at times to establish priorities among book requests within one's department.
The average delivery from domestic vendors/publishers is 2-5 weeks. If the ordering information is incomplete or if the title is from a foreign publisher, it will take longer for the material to arrive.
Other Acquisitions Links
Penn State Press
Thompson Publishing Group, Inc.
Springer-Verlag New York, Inc.
John Wiley & Sons
H.W. Wilson Company
Out-of-Print Book Stores
Powell's City of Books (including technical books)
Barnes & Noble
University of Buffalo Directory of Donation Programs
For assistance or questions concerning acquisitions, please Contact:
Roz Goldstein at 610-499-4079 or firstname.lastname@example.org