Widener’s historical highlights are listed in the timeline below. For an overview of Widener’s history, refer to Widener’s vision and history.
1821 – 1868
John Bullock establishes the Bullock School for Boys, in Wilmington, Delaware, to prepare young men for “entry to college.”
Samuel Alsop becomes new headmaster of The Alsop School for Boys.
Theodore Hyatt assumes leadership of Hyatt’s Select School for Boys after Alsop, and introduces military instruction in 1858.
Hyatt’s Select School for Boys gets incorporated under the charter of the Wilmington Literary Institute as the Delaware Military Academy.
With the move to a new facility in West Chester, Pennsylvania, Delaware Military Academy becomes Pennsylvania Military Academy.
Pennsylvania Military Academy relocates to Chester, Pennsylvania, the present home of Widener University.
1892 – 1972
Pennsylvania Military Academy becomes Pennsylvania Military College (PMC), modeled after West Point, the renowned U.S. military academy. Graduates serve honorably in the U.S. Army through many military conflicts, including the Civil War, World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War.
Penn Morton College, a coeducational counterpart to PMC, admits women and civilians for the first time. Eventually, both colleges become known as PMC Colleges (a combined version of the Pennsylvania Military College and Penn Morton College).
A nursing program with College of Nursing of Crozer Foundation starts. The first graduate program - engineering - is introduced.
School of Nursing is established.
1972 – 1993
PMC Colleges becomes Widener College. PMC Corps of Cadets disbanded.
Delaware Campus opens as part of merger with Brandywine Junior College.
PMC Colleges renamed Widener University.
University College program starts.
School of Hotel and Restaurant Management opens; renamed School of Hospitality Management in 1996.
Harrisburg Campus opens.
School of Human Service Professions established.
2004 – Present
Exton Campus opens.
Metropolitan Hall, a new state-of-the-art apartment-style residence hall, is added to the Main Campus. New state-of-the-art Wellness Center (added to the existing Schwartz Physical Education Center) opens to the campus community; includes a 24-foot climbing wall.
Founders Hall, a 35,000-square-foot, three-story building is added to the Main Campus to house the School of Nursing and the Oskin Leadership Institute.