Oskin Leadership Institute
- Widener University
- One University Place
- Chester, PA 19013-3792
- tel: 610-990-8962
About Us, Oskin Leadership Institute
David Oskin on Founding the Institute
David W. Oskin '64 discusses his family's motivation behind founding the Oskin Leadership Institute at Widener University.
The Oskin Leadership Institute opened in 2011 with the mission of perpetuating the university's long and noble tradition of inspiring students to be strategic leaders and responsible citizens who possess the character, courage, and competencies to affect positive change.
The Institute has been made possible by a generous gift from David Oskin, the former chair of Widener's Board of Trustees, his wife JoEllen, and their late son, David.
Through innovative programming and leadership experiences, the Institute enables the Widener community to lead outside of their comfort zone and garner the skills to be effective leaders. The institute is also dedicated to advancing research on the relationship between courage and leadership.
Our Three Pillars
- Character: Self-authored, internalized set of ideals and principles exemplified through a person's stable and consistent habits, thoughts, and actions.
- Courage: Inner strength enables us to lead with integrity and follow our core values and convictions despite pressures to the contrary.
- Competency: Character and courage are not enough. Effective leaders also possess the requisite skills and abilities to lead others.
- Leading Self: Do you know what you stand for? Can you recognize your strengths and weaknesses? Do you have an agile mind that looks for ways to continually learn, develop, and grow?
- Leading Others: Do you walk your talk and create positive energy? Can you hold others accountable but still know when to follow?
- Leading Change: Do you have the courage to experiment and inspire a shared vision? Can you ask great questions? Inspire a shared vision?
Are you ready to take your leadership skills to the next level? Contact the Institute at email@example.com to learn more.