Agility is the master competency for any leader, whether it’s the agility needed for a pivotal conversation, leading teams, or catalyzing organizational change.
Book to Read
Leadership Agility: Five Levels of Mastering for Anticipating and Initiating Change
by Bill Joiner and Stephen Josephs (2007)
Quick Take from the Book
There are five levels of leadership agility:
- Expert Level (solving key problems).
- Achiever Level (accomplishing key outcomes).
- Catalyst Level (mobilizing new endeavors and breakthroughs).
- Co-Creator Level (realizing a shared purpose).
- Synergist Level (evoking new and audacious possibilities).
Quote of Note
"As you grow from one stage to another, you develop a distinct set of mental and emotional capacities that enable you to respond more effectively to change and complexity. In other words, leaders become more effective as they grow into the more advanced stages, because, in doing so, they become increasingly adept at responding to the degree of change and complexity that pervades today’s workplace. In sum, the research shows that, as leaders move from one stage to another, their level of leadership agility increases." — Bill Joiner and Stephen Josephs