- One University Place
- Chester, PA 19013
Congratulations to the 2017 High School Leadership Award recipients!
On March 23, a record number of High School Leadership Award winners were honored at the National Constitution Center for their outstanding demonstration of leadership. As NBC10's Tracy Davidson said, these young leaders are "dreamers, doers, innovators, and voices for the voiceless."
Stay tuned for more information regarding next year's High School Leadership Awards.
Want an inside look at the fun had at this year's awards banquet? View our Flickr gallery of the 2017 HSLA breakfast!
What are the Widener University High School Leadership Awards?
WCAU-TV NBC10 and Widener University have partnered once again to give principals in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware the opportunity to acknowledge and honor the region's best and brightest future leaders whom consistently:
- Stand up for what is right.
- Find ways to address a wrong.
- Make a difference in a significant way within their community.
How does it work?
- Step #1 – A high school principal, administrator, or guidance counselor nominates a deserving student from junior class.
- Step #2 – Confirmation will be sent to the nominated student, who will then register.
For Principals and Administrators
Principals and administrators in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware are encouraged to nominate one current high school junior who exhibits strong leadership skills, academic excellence, and exceptional character by completing the Principal Nomination Form.
This character can be shown through participation in extracurricular activities, volunteering, and/or demonstrating a positive influence on their peers.
- Only one high school junior in good academic standing is eligible to be nominated from each school.
- Students may be nominated even if the school does not calculate GPA.
- Principals/administrators must submit the Principal Nomination Form by December 9, 2016.
What should students do if they would like to be or have already been nominated?
Students must complete the Student Registration Form by January 6, 2017.
- If a student has been formally nominated, the awards committee will contact the student to complete the Student Registration Form.
- If a student has submitted their registration but has not been formally nominated,
the awards committee will contact the school to inquire about their candidacy.
When are the winners selected?
Award winners will be selected by the Widener University High School Leadership Awards committee and announced January 2017.
What do award winners receive?
- Selected students will be honored and recognized during a special celebratory program at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia.
- Students will receive a leadership certificate and the opportunity to participate in a leadership experience at Widener University.
- Students will also receive a $20,000 scholarship awarded over four years if they enroll as undergraduates at Widener University.
How do students qualify for the $20,000 scholarship?
Students are qualified for the $20,000 Widener University scholarship after their completed forms and essays have been submitted. Once confirmed, students who apply to Widener University and are accepted will automatically receive a $20,000 scholarship upon enrollment.
Check back soon for more updates regarding next year's High School Leadership Awards.
Have a question? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 484-385-2900.