- One University Place
- Chester, PA 19013
Widener University, one of the nation’s premier universities for civic engagement and applied leadership, in partnership with WCAU-TV NBC10, announced the winners of the Widener University High School Leadership Awards on February 21, 2018.
Winners are invited to a celebratory program at the National Constitution Center on March 13, 2018, as well as a leadership conference presented by the Oskin Leadership Institute at Widener University in the fall of 2018. Most notably, winners will receive a scholarship of $20,000 over four years should they enroll at Widener University for undergraduate studies.
What are the Widener University High School Leadership Awards?
WCAU-TV NBC10 and Widener University have partnered once again to give principals in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware the opportunity to acknowledge and honor the region's best and brightest future leaders whom consistently:
- Stand up for what is right.
- Find ways to address a wrong.
- Make a difference in a significant way within their community.
As NBC10's Tracy Davidson said, these young leaders are "dreamers, doers, innovators, and voices for the voiceless."
How does it work?
- Step #1 – A high school principal, administrator, or guidance counselor nominates a deserving student from junior class.
- Step #2 – Confirmation will be sent to the nominated student, who will then register.
For Principals and Administrators
Principals and administrators in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware are encouraged to nominate one current high school junior who exhibits strong leadership skills, academic excellence, and exceptional character by completing the Principal Nomination Form.*
This character can be shown through participation in extracurricular activities, volunteering, and/or demonstrating a positive influence on their peers.
- Only one high school junior in good academic standing is eligible to be nominated from each school.
- Students may be nominated even if the school does not calculate GPA.
- Principals/administrators must submit the Principal Nomination Form.
*NOMINATION IS NOW CLOSED
What should students do if they would like to be or have already been nominated?
Students must complete the Student Registration Form.*
- If a student has been formally nominated, the awards committee will contact the student to complete the Student Registration Form.
If a student has submitted their registration but has not been formally nominated, the awards committee will contact the school to inquire about their candidacy.
*REGISTRATION FOR 2018 NOMINEES IS NOW CLOSED
When are the winners selected?
Award winners were selected by the Widener University High School Leadership Awards committee and announced on February 21, 2018.
What do award winners receive?
- Selected students will be honored and recognized during a special celebratory program at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia.
- Students will receive a leadership certificate and the opportunity to participate in a leadership experience at Widener University.
- Students will also receive a $20,000 scholarship awarded over four years if they enroll as undergraduates at Widener University.
How do students qualify for the $20,000 scholarship?
Students are qualified for the $20,000 Widener University scholarship after their completed forms and essays have been submitted. Once confirmed, students who apply to Widener University and are accepted will automatically receive a $20,000 scholarship upon enrollment.
Have a question? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 484-385-2900.
Want an inside look at the fun had at this year's awards banquet? View our Flickr gallery of the 2018 HSLA breakfast!