Office of Global Engagement
Dr. Denise Gifford
- Associate Provost of Global Engagement & Dean of Students
- University Center, Main Level
- Contact for Global Engagement Initiatives
- Director of International Student Services
- University Center,
- Upper Level
- Contact for Semester Study Abroad and National Student Exchange programs
Costa Rica Hub – CARES 21
CARES21, Consortium for Agro-Ecological Research and Education in Sustainability in the 21st Century, is an initiative of Widener University that aims to educate U.S. coffee consumers, especially on college campuses, about the sustainability issues concerning coffee from cultivation to cup. Committed to the values of all three dimensions of sustainability—environmental, social, and economic, the program works with farmers, brokers, roasters, and higher education food service providers to deliver organic, fair trade coffee on college campuses.
Our Goals and Values
Our goals are:
- To promote research and curriculum development that advances global sustainability and sustainability education, using coffee as the focal point that can be expanded to other products and studied using multiple disciplinary perspectives.
- To impact conditions on the ground and move to more just and sustainable coffee production and consumption by creating greater consumer demand for sustainable coffee.
- To promote environmentally sustainable practices that take into account issues of economic and social justice.
- To provide experiential opportunities for students to focus on solving real world problems.