Graduate Studies & Extended Learning
- Kapelski Learning Center, Room 120
- tel: 610-499-4282
- fax: 610-499-4369
Requirements, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Extended Learning
The Widener-Crozer Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program (DMS), often referred to as the ultrasound program, has the following application, admission, and preclinical requirements. Students should meet with an academic advisor at Widener’s Center for Extended Learning to determine their previous college transferrable credits and admission eligibility. Students with or without previous college credit will need to successfully complete the courses listed below prior to being admitted.
The partnership between Widener and Crozer-Keystone Health System allows students to receive Widener University credit for all courses and clinicals, which must be taken and completed in consecutive semesters at Crozer-Keystone and its affiliates. It is possible for students without previous college experience to first work towards an associate of science in general studies, but typically students have enough credits to start the program working directly towards a bachelor of science in allied health.
Application Requirements for the Ultrasound Program
- Complete the free Extended Learning admission application
- 2 Recommendation Forms with attached letters of recommendations
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts for all colleges attended
- Technical Standards Form sign-off
- Interview with the Crozer-Keystone DMS Program Director
Admission Requirements for the Ultrasound Program
- 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA); calculated across all college transcript final grades
- ENGL 101 Composition and Critical Thought
- MATH 117 Elementary Functions
- BIO 121 Anatomy and Physiology I (within 5 years of admission, if not actively working in patient care)
- BIO 122 Anatomy and Physiology II (within 5 years of admission, if not actively working in patient care)
- PHYS 141 College Physics
- ALLH 220 Healthcare and the Law (or Medical Ethics)
- Medical Terminology
A grade of “C” or better must be earned in each prerequisite course. Only one repetition of the course is permitted, and the average of the two will then be used.
Additional Preclinical Requirements
- Active certification in CPR/BLS. Only seated courses with chest compression practice will be accepted.
- Pennsylvania FBI fingerprint, criminal background check, and Pennsylvania child abuse clearance
- Physical and drug clearance through Crozer-Keystone
- If not already active in direct patient care, which is approved by the DMS Program Director, then it is a requirement to earn a Certified Nursing Assistant license (CNA) within one year prior to the start of the program
Please note that sitting for national registry boards in physics, abdomen, and ob/gyn is required for graduation.
College transcripts must be mailed directly to the Center for Extended Learning from the institution. All other application materials should be emailed, faxed, or mailed to the Center for Extended Learning (see contact information to the left).
Should you have any questions, please contact the Center for Extended Learning and ask to speak to an academic advisor who specializes in the DMS program.