Communication is the #1 skill that employers are looking for in a job candidate.
Communication Studies is a versatile major that opens the door to many different career paths and provides you with the skills necessary to communicate effectively in all aspects of your life.
Why a major in communication studies at Widener University might be the right path for you:
- Do you use YouTube, Vine, Twitter or Instagram to showcase your creativity in photography and video production? Do you want to take that vision to the next level using state-of-the-art equipment and facilities?
- Do you imagine yourself working in a creative industry such as broadcasting, advertising, graphic design, film-making, public relations, or journalism?
- Do you love sports, movies, or politics and want to incorporate that love into your career?
- Do you like to plan events or use social media to promote an organization or cause
that is close to your heart? Would you like to collaborate with other creative classmates
on a campaign for such an organization?
All Widener Communication Studies students receive a comprehensive foundation of communication skills such as public speaking and visual literacy. Students also sharpen their skills through hands-on, collaborative learning in one or more of the following concentrations.
Students gain practical experience in our state-of-the art television studio both in front the camera and behind-the-scenes.
Students learn principles of design and apply them in real-world client situations.
Students learn cinematography, storytelling, and editing and create pieces using industry-standard equipment.
Students study strategic communications and work with others to plan and implement creative strategies for clients-in-need.
Students explore and practice leadership in relation to interpersonal, organizational, and mass communication.
Students write, edit and disseminate different types of stories through various multimedia
Clubs & Organizations
These concentrations are complemented by numerous opportunities to become involved in student media organizations on campus.
- Widecast Radio
- Blue & Gold Student Media Site
- Widener’s Television Studios – WUTV
- PRSSA – Public Relations Student Society of America
Springboard for Success
Widener Communication Studies alumni are enjoying successful careers with companies such as:
- Big Spaceship
- Campbell’s Soup Company
- CBS Sports Network
- Comcast Sportsnet
- Dietz and Watson
- Domus, Inc.
- Dow Jones
- Harmelin Media
- InVentiv Digital + Innovation
- Mamma Chia
- NFL Films
- NFL Radio
- Radio Disney
- Slack, Inc.
- The Media & Marketing Group
- TV One Productions
- United States Department of Defense
- Valley Forge Casino & Resort
- W20 Group