alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube


FAQs for A&S Graduate Certificates

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the graduate certificates in the College of Arts & Sciences at Widener.

If you have additional questions, please contact us by phone or e-mail (see contact information on left) or schedule a visit.

Why should I enroll in a certificate rather than a degree program?

Working adults often wonder if they have the time and energy to complete a full degree program; others do not need a full master’s or doctoral degree to gain the credentials that they need to take them to the next step in their career ladder. Certificate programs meet both needs, but students who then decide to enroll in a degree program can transfer qualified courses into the new program.

How are courses structured? 

It varies depending on the certificate program and the particular course. Most certificate courses are cross-listed with existing graduate programs and will follow that program’s calendar and format. Courses held on the Main Campus in Chester usually meet once a week for 3 hours; other courses are available online, in a flexible hybrid (online/seated class) format, or as a short-term, intensive seated program. 

I was accepted! Now what do I do?

Follow the directions to pay your deposit online; you will then be e-mailed instructions on how to register for the classes available in your certificate program for that semester or summer session.

What happens with my deposit?

The $100 enrollment deposit is non-refundable; it will be applied to your student account to offset tuition and fees due in your first semester.

I am interested in moving from a graduate certificate to a master’s program. How do I do that?

The non-profit leadership certificatecan be transferred directly into the master’s degree program in public administration; other individual certificate courses can be counted towards fulfillment of a degree requirement for one or more master’s programs.  

Students enrolled in certificate programs will be advised which courses count for which master’s programs and will have the opportunity to complete a short application to switch to a master’s program at any point during their study or after completion of the certificate. Normally students who have earned at least a B in certificate courses that count towards completion of the degree will be automatically accepted into that program. No more than 4 graduate certificate courses taken at the reduced certificate tuition rate may be applied to a degree program.

I started one graduate certificate program but I now realize I am more interested in another. What do I do? 

Students may switch programs by completing a program change form in the College of Arts & Sciences’ Dean’s Office, Kapelski 209. All courses that count towards the new program will be transferred to it.

What will I receive when I complete a graduate certificate?

You will receive a printed certificate from Widener’s College of Arts & Sciences. You can then document the certificate completion on your resume and/or on job applications.

Will my graduate certificate be transcripted?

Yes, you will be able to request a transcript of graduate courses completed at Widener.

Do graduate certificate awardees participate in commencement ceremonies?

No, nor are certificate awardees eligible for benefits as Widener alumni/ae (unless you have also earned a Widener degree).

Do we allow tuition remission for Widener employees? 

Yes, on a space-available basis. If there are seats in a graduate certificate class that a qualified Widener employee would like to take, they may register one week prior to the class start date.