College of Arts & Sciences
- Science Division
- Kirkbride Hall, Room 321
- tel: 610-499-4002
Dr. Itzick Vatnick
- Chair of Biology Department
- Kirkbride Hall, Room 404
- tel: 610-499-4245
Biology is the comprehensive study of life, a broad subject incorporating disciplines from a variety of scientific fields such as genetics, zoology, and global biodiversity. Students who study biology at Widener graduate with more than a degree; they emerge as critical thinkers who are skilled in the scientific process and have a passion for making discoveries of their own.
That scholarship of discovery is acquired with the help of three learning goals:
- Mastering Biological Literacy. Biological literacy is a comprehensive understanding of all living organisms, from the biochemical processes that constitute life to the interaction of organisms at the level of ecological systems.
- Understanding the Process of Biological Inquiry. Biological inquiry is the application of the scientific method (including inductive and deductive reasoning) to questions of natural phenomena.
- Developing Scientific Reasoning. The biology faculty at Widener challenge students to apply evidence-based reasoning to analyze and solve scientific and societal problems. Reflective judgment is also needed when data is missing, incomplete, or contradictory.
These three goals translate into knowing how to apply knowledge to solve problems. Student engagement in undergraduate research is also critical to meeting these learning goals. A biology education at Widener hones imagination and perception and creates exactly the kinds of cognitive, critical-thinking skills desperately needed in the world today.
Majoring in biology not only gives you the building blocks necessary for understanding pathology, but it also allows you to get hands-on experience in the laboratory and in the field. The personalized biology curriculum at Widener helps solidify your interest in science and allows you to find your niche in the scientific community.
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- DuPont Chemical Company
- Johnson & Johnson
- McCormick Corporation
- Monell Chemical Senses Center
- WuXi PharmaTech
- Cornell University Medical Center
- Beth Israel Medical Center
Graduate Programs/Medical Schools
- University of Delaware
- University of Pennsylvania
- Penn State Hershey College of Medicine Graduate Program
- Widener University Physical Therapy Doctoral Program
- Thomas Jefferson University
- Drexel University College of Medicine
- The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- SUNY Optometry
- Temple University Medical School
- Temple University Dental School
- Thomas Jefferson University College of Pharmacy