College of Arts & Sciences
- Science Division
- Kirkbride Hall, Room 323
- tel: 610-499-4002
- fax: 610-499-4496
- Chair of Biochemistry
- Kirkbride, Room 562
- tel: 610-499-4020
This unique cross discipline provides a solid foundation in the sciences. Through a variety of courses in biology and chemistry, students explore both the living world and understand man-made chemical processes. The curriculum emphasizes the molecular, analytical, and quantitative aspects of living systems and includes research projects that train students to formulate questions, analyze data, and come up with solutions.
Biochemists serve in a number of jobs in a variety of industries, from academia and government to pharmaceuticals and healthcare. They also work collaboratively with other scientists to further study how life works.
I chose Widener because of the small class size and individual attention I could receive. In the small niche of the biochemistry department, students and faculty build incredible relationships that immensely benefit the entire experience of undergraduate education— learning, networking, developing post-graduate plans, etc.
I knew I liked science, and I thought that the biochemistry curriculum would allow me to take a variety of classes and learn about more topics. This major helped me to discover exactly what kind of science career I wanted to pursue after graduation, while at the same time giving me a well-rounded education.
Widener is the first university in the state of Pennsylvania to sign the Green Chemistry Commitment. Learn more about the chemistry program at Widener and what the agreement means for students and faculty.
- Forensic scientist
- Biomedical research scientist
- Clinical research scientist
- College professor
Recent Employers, Graduate Schools, and Medical Programs
- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School-Princeton University, MD/PhD program
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, PhD program in biomedical sciences
- University of Delaware, PhD program in biology
- Rutgers University, PhD program in chemistry
- Temple University, PhD program in medicinal chemistry
- Temple University School of Medicine, MD program
- University of East Stroudsburg, MS program in biology