College of Arts & Sciences
- Science Division
- Kirkbride, Room 323
- tel: 610-499-4002
Dr. Loyd Bastin
- Associate Professor and Chair of Chemistry
- Kirkbride Hall, Room 469A
- tel: 610-499-4022
Widener offers a full range of classes for chemistry majors and minors, including general, organic, analytical, instrumental, environmental, physical, and inorganic chemistry.
Students have the option of several programs that lead to a bachelor of science in chemistry.
- The first, certified by the American Chemical Society, prepares students primarily for graduate work in chemistry and careers in the chemical industry.
- The second is for students who have a strong interest in medicine, patent law, technical sales, physical therapy, or other areas of applied chemistry. The department has also designed curriculum requirements for a bachelor of science degree in chemistry for pre-healthcare professions and pre-physical therapy students.
- The third is for students who have an interest in engineering. These students can complete a dual degree in chemistry and chemical engineering. This degree program results in the students receiving a bachelor of science in chemistry and a bachelor of science in chemical engineering.
About the Curriculum
Widener’s undergraduate chemistry curriculum is demanding and focuses on the integration of knowledge across the curriculum. Our curriculum is designed around sustainability, research, and instrumentation. In fact, all undergraduates are required to conduct an individual research project, which they complete in consultation with faculty members.
For more information about courses and requirements for chemistry, please refer to page 60 of our course catalog.