College of Arts & Sciences
- Science Division
- Kirkbride, Room 323
- tel: 610-499-4002
Dr. Loyd Bastin
- Associate Professor and Chair of Chemistry
- Kirkbride Hall, Room 469A
- tel: 610-499-4022
Student Awards, Chemistry
The chemistry department is extremely proud of the accomplishments of its students. Faculty and staff present several annual awards to celebrate these achievements. Awards are given for scholastic success, leadership, laboratory work, and most outstanding work in organic and inorganic chemistry.
Below are the awards the chemistry department annually presents to outstanding students.
American Chemical Society (ACS) Scholastic Achievement Award
This annual student award is given to a senior chemistry major in recognition of outstanding achievement in chemistry.
- 2015 – Jeffrey Waters
- 2013 – Alysha Moretti
- 2012 - Anna Miller
- 2010 - Luke Wiencek
- 2009 - Kaitlyn Gerhart
American Institute of Chemists Foundation Award
This annual student award honors an outstanding senior majoring in chemistry in recognition of a demonstrated record of ability, leadership, and professional promise. Candidates are chosen and nominated by their faculty members.
- 2013 – Kevin Blattner
- 2012 - Erika Druckenmiller
- 2010 - Jennifer Gaugler
- 2009 - Tam Lieu
- 2008 - Jennifer Nugent
American Chemical Society Division of Inorganic Chemistry Award
This annual award from the American Chemical Society Division of Inorganic Chemistry is given in recognition of a student’s excellence in inorganic chemistry.
- 2013 – Jeffrey Waters
American Chemical Society Division of Analytical Chemistry Award
Each year Widener University’s Department of Chemistry presents an Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry sponsored by the Analytical Section of the American Chemical Society. The award includes an 8-month subscription to the journal, Analytical Chemistry, and an honorary membership in the Division of Analytical Chemistry.
- 2013/2014 – Jeffrey Waters
- 2012/2013 – Amanda Raimer
- 2011/2012 - Kevin Blattner
- 2010/2011 - Anna Miller
- 2008/2009 - Jennifer Gaugler and Luke Wiencek
POLYED Achievement Award in Organic Chemistry
Each year the American Chemical Society Divisions of Polymer Chemistry and Polymeric Materials Science and Engineering recognize undergraduate students for their performance in a full-year course in organic chemistry.
- 2013/2014 – Navneet Goraya
- 2012/2013 – Margaret Karmeris
- 2011/2012 – Anila Chaudhary
- 2010/2011 - Alysha Moretti
- 2009/2010 - Miquel Rodriguez
David Arnold Award
This award is given to the biochemistry, chemistry, or chemical engineering student with the best performance in Organic I lecture and lab. The student receives a copy of Dean's Handbook of Organic Compounds.
- Fall 2014 – Shane Murray
- Fall 2013 – Nicole Gilette
- Fall 2012 – Spencer Ng
- Fall 2011 - Michael Pacitti
- Fall 2010 - Alysha Moretti
CRC Freshman Chemistry Award
Each year the CRC Press presents an award to outstanding students in freshman chemistry courses in schools across the country. The faculty who teach the full-year freshman chemistry course selects the students. Each awardee receives a copy of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.
- 2013/2014 – Shijo Benjamin, Alexandra Jednorski, Caleah Kitchens
- 2012/2013 – Navneet Goraya
- 2011/2012 – Margaret Karmeris and Emily Mattucci
- 2010/2011 - Matthew McGouldrick and Paul St Marie
- 2009/2010 - Alysha Moretti and Amanda Raimer