alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube


  • College of Arts & Sciences

    • Social Sciences Division
    • Kapelski Learning Center, Room 226
    • tel: 610-499-4365
    • fax: 610-499-4603
  • Dr. J. Wesley Leckrone


FAQs, Political Science & International Relations

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the political science and international relations majors at Widener.

If you have additional questions, please contact us by phone or e-mail (see Contact information on left) or schedule a visit.

What can I do with a political science or international relations major?

The political science and international relation major provides students with the tools and experiences to take on any career that is of interest to them. Writing, public speaking, negotiating, team work, and leadership are all skills students gain and are easily transferable to any career.

Is there a foreign language requirement?

No. A foreign language is not required for the political science major. The international relations major, however, requires a foreign language. Conversational ability in another language broadens your horizons and greatly increases your career options.

What are my options for studying abroad?

Study abroad programs range from an entire semester abroad or a summer abroad to shorter trips during the year. Study abroad allows students to practice their foreign language skills and become adept and experienced at navigating new situations and cultures. Many students participate in one of the numerous study abroad programs offered at Widener in countries such as Germany, Australia, and Spain.

Can I major in pre-law?

The legal studies minor combined with either political science or international relations gives students the background and coursework that provide a strong basis for law school. Widener undergraduates can participate in the 3 + 3 option with either of Widener’s two law schools and spend their first three years on the Main Campus and then combine their senior year with their first year of law school. This allows our students to complete their bachelor and juris doctor degrees in 6 years instead of the traditional 7.

If I transfer into Widener political science/international relations, can I graduate on time?

The large majority of transfer students graduate in a total of four years (combined years at Widener and in previous schools). 

Can I take graduate classes while I’m an undergraduate?

Students with a 3.5 GPA are eligible to take up to two graduate classes in the master in public administration program.

Can I specialize in a specific area in political science?

The environmental studies minor combines political science classes with environmental science, anthropology, and sociology classes, giving students the opportunity to focus on environmental issues from different perspectives. The legal studies and analysis minor and membership in the Pre-Law Society prepare students for law school.