College of Arts & Sciences
- Social Sciences Division
- Kapelski Learning Center, Room 226
- tel: 610-499-4365
- fax: 610-499-4603
Dr. Ross Steinman
- Chair, Psychology Department
- Kapelski Learning Center, Room 137B
- tel: 610-499-4266
Internships & Practica, Psychology
"Within two weeks of my internship at SOAR Recovery right here in Chester, I was facilitating my own two-hour group counseling sessions focused on topics ranging from goal setting to triggers and relapse prevention."
"My practicum at Midatlantic Employers’ Association was a valuable experience because it helped me learn more about the training and development aspect of a business."
Practica and internships enable Widener students to gain valuable training and work experience in social service agencies or other settings in which they are able to put their knowledge of psychology into practice.
These field-based experiences complement students’ coursework and help them decide and prepare for their future careers.
Widener has established relationships with a number of community partners, allowing students to gain experience in the field and to explore their interests. Our students often work with people struggling with issues of depression, addiction, mental illness, and loss.
See below for a sample of sites where students have been placed recently.
- SOAR, an agency specializing in sports medicine, orthopedic surgery, and rehabilitative medicine
- Elwyn, an organization offering groundbreaking programs for children and adults with disabilities and disadvantages
- Livengrin, a rehabilitation facility for drug and alcohol addition
- Gaudenzia, an organization offering drug and alcohol treatment programs for men and women in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware
- Horizon House, an agency offering services to address the needs of adults with drug and alcohol addictions and developmental disabilities in addition to those who are homeless
- PeopleShare, one of the largest staffing companies in the region
- ARC of Chester County, a leading provider of services to people with developmental and intellectual disabilities
and their families
Clinical or Counseling Psychology
Students who are interested in pursuing a career in clinical or counseling psychology are strongly encouraged to follow the pre-clinical/counseling ladder. This ladder prepares you for:
- work with children, adolescents, and adults upon graduation
- pre-certification in mental health and drug and alcohol counseling through the Pennsylvania Certification Board
- graduate school in counseling and clinical psychology
Our psychology department works closely with Widener’s Institute for Graduate Clinical Psychology doctor of psychology program, as well as several master of counseling programs in the Philadelphia area to assist you in meeting your career goals.