Undergraduate Certification Programs
The Center for Education at Widener University offers the following programs for teacher certification at the undergraduate levels:
- Comprehensive General Science
- Early Childhood Education
- Earth and Space Education
- Elementary Education: The Early Years (PK - 4)
- Elementary Education: The Middle Years (4 - 8)
- Social Studies
- Spanish (and ESL qualifications)
- Special Education
Initial certification in Pennsylvania as a teacher (Instructional I) can be earned through the undergraduate division. Undergraduate students must satisfy the following criteria being being recommended for certification:
- Complete and array of courses that provide a rich and varied background necessary for the profession.
- Successfully pass all field experiences.
- Successfully complete the student teaching experience.
- Complete all requirements for bachelor's degree.
- Successfully complete the writing sample requirement.
- Successfully complete the portfolio requirement.
- Earn a passing score on the PAPA (Pre-service Academics Performance Assessments) test series, as required by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
- Be approved by the director of field experiences and certification and an appropriate faculty member.