The Master’s Degree in Allied Health Education is designed for allied health and related health professionals who teach in community
colleges, hospital-based programs and community health related fields. It prepares
the registered, certified and/or licensed allied health professional for expanded
roles in teaching, administration and advanced professional practices. This program
uses a cohort system and a combination of on-line and hybrid courses.
Program Features and Curricular Objectives
The Allied Health program will:
- Prepare students to lead and work in an allied health field in a community college, hospital-based program or community setting.
- Enable students with the knowledge and skills needed to function as educators in academic, clinical and community settings.
- Allow students to gain competency in leadership skills and group dynamics that are increasingly important in health care management.
- Enable allied health professionals to become sensitive to the health care environment in which they work, so that they can respond and lead change.
- Prepare allied health professionals to be critical thinkers and communicators.
- Prepare allied health professionals to function in a professional manner as a member of their discipline with an understanding of citizenship in a global society.
Research (6 Credits)
ED 510 Applications in Educational Research
ED 714 Qualitative Research
Foundations (12 Credits)
ED 583 Education of Adults from a Developmental Perspective
ED 544/HSED elec Multicultural Education or Human Sexuality Education Elective
ED 505 Alternative Education Models
ED 509 Curriculum Theory
Professional Core (12 Credits)
HCM 601 Health Care Policy (3 hours)
HCM 670 Legal Issues in Health Care (1.5 hours)
HCM 673 Financial Management (1.5 hours)**
BPI 600 Business Process Management (3 hours)
ALLH 600 Managing Allied Health Care Operations (3 hours)
ALLH 750 Portfolio Project (2 Credits)
Portfolio Project (2 Credits)
** Students must have an undergraduate course in financial accounting.
Is This Program For You?
Widener’s program in Allied Health is designed for students with a current certification in an Allied Health field. This program is for you if you:
- Need a flexible, on-line program which can be tailored to your 24/7/365 work schedule in the Health field
- Are an allied health professional with increased overall educational requirements
- Are an educator, manager, or researcher in allied health fields who needs a more advanced degree for career stability or mobility
- Are interested in a program which emphasizes teamwork, hands-on training, leadership, management, communication, and the financing of healthcare
To learn more about the Masters in Allied Health Education, please contact: