Elementary Education: The Early Years (Pre K - 4)
The Master's Program in Pre-K - 4 Education is designed specifically for people who want to focus on teaching children in the years between birth and grade 4. Widener challenges learners and enriches learning through civic engagement, leadership, scholarship, and cultural diversity. The Pre-K - 4 Education program uses a combination of class time, field work, and one-on-one advising to give its students the confidence and experience to become understanding and compassionate educators. Graduates of this program are prepared to become leaders in their schools.
Program Features and Curricular Objectives
· This is a flexible Program and can be attended full-time or part-time. Classes are offered on weeknights.
· Students can choose to earn their certification in Pre-K – 4 Education as well as a Masters in Education.
· Widener offers dynamic teaching, active scholarship, and experimental learning.
· Students interact with a mentoring faculty and receive personal attention and one-on-one advising.
· Widener inspires academic excellence; teaching students to access accurate, current knowledge of the literature in the field of Pre-K - 4 Education.
· Graduates inspire a commitment to lifelong learning in the students with whom they work.
“Teaching and Learning in the field, Learning and Leading from the field”
Widener’s Pre-K – 4 Education program provides rich opportunities for field experiences and community engagement. Students in the program spend time working in the field to develop their skills and gain personal experience interacting with students and teachers. Field experience asserts the importance of collaboration among students, faculty, seasoned teachers, administrators, and supportive educational specialists. Students learn professionalism by observing and collaborating with Pre-K-4 students and their educators.
· Nearly every required course in the program gives students the opportunity to work in real pre-K – 4 environments.
· Students are assisted with field placement by the department.
· Students in the program who are currently employed in the field of education or in community roles can apply their paid working hours toward their field experience requirements.
Is This Program For You?
Widener’s program in Pre-K – 4 Education attracts students with ateaching and learning, learning and teaching attitude. Prospective students, whether you are currently a teacher, working in the community, or right out of any bachelors program, this program is for you if you want to:
· Work within communities of educators and learners.
· Increase your effectiveness as a Pre-K – 4 teacher.
· Earn certifications in Pre-K – 4 Education.
· Expand upon your prior education and professional experiences to extend your certification area to include Pre-K – 4 Education.
· Transition from content area teaching to Pre-K – 4 Education.
· Become more marketable by having more certifications; increase your job opportunities
Below is the program offering for the Pre K - 4 certification*, total of 36 credits.
|Fall||ED 5300: Early Literacy Found & Assess/3Ed 6600: Collaboration and Inclusion/3ED 5900: Student Teaching/6|
|Spring||ED 5100: Introduction to Teaching/1**TED 5100: Intro to Instr and Assist Tech/2**ED 5400: Social Studies Methods/3ED 5420: Math Founds and Assess/3ED 5500: Introduction to Special Education/3|
|Summer I||ED 5100: Introduction to Teaching/1TED 5100: Intro to Instr and Assist Tech/2ED 5150: Early Childhood Dev/3ED 5200: Founds of Early Childhood/3|
|Summer II||ED 5410: Science Methods/3ED 5600: Lit Inst & Inter for Learners/3|
*A Masters degree will require the completion of ED 510: Ed Research and one other course, please consult your advisor.