Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the foundation requirements and do all students need foundations?

A: Foundations are classes that need to be satisfactorily completed during the first year of enrollment in the program. The Master’s degree in Hospitality and Tourism requires the completion of 30 credit hours of core coursework including a thesis or monograph option. Students without an undergraduate business background will complete a business block of foundation courses in the fall semester. Students without a hospitality management background will complete HT 500 in the summer semester. These foundation classes in business and hospitality management serve as pre-core classes.

In addition, the program expects completion of a minimum of one year of full time work experience in any field as a condition for acceptance for those applicants who have completed their undergraduate work.

Q: How long will the program take?

A: The program is part-time evening study. Most students can finish in two calendar years including the thesis defense if no foundation courses are needed. Students usually take two courses (each semester) equaling six credits. International students take an additional three credit (no tuition fee) internship that allows them to work and qualify as full-time students (9 credits).

Q: Is there housing on campus?

A: Currently, there is no housing for graduate students on campus. However, suitable off-campus housing is available surrounding the campus. The university offers assistance to full-time international graduate students in securing housing adjacent to the campus.

Q: Will I need a car?

A: A car would be helpful if you would like to have a wide choice of employment opportunities and housing options. However, the public transportation system in the metropolitan Philadelphia area is very good. There is train service near campus and bus service on the edges of the campus.

Q: Are there assistantships or scholarships available?

A: Currently, there are no tuition assistantships or scholarships available because the program is part-time.

Q: What time are classes?

A: Classes meet in the evenings, once a week. Some electives are taught late afternoons, once a week. Some are offered twice a week in the late afternoons.

Q: Are there application deadlines?

A: Students with an undergraduate degree in Hospitality Management may be admitted for any semester. Students who need foundation classes in Hospitality are admitted for the summer semester only. Business foundation classes, if needed, are offered only in the fall semester. Students cannot proceed to the HT core until all foundations are satisfied.

  • International students without hospitality degrees admitted summer only — deadline is April 1.
  • Domestic students without hospitality degrees admitted summer only — deadline is June 1.

Domestic and international students with undergraduate hospitality degrees are admitted fall and spring.

  • Domestic students — deadline for Fall is August 1; deadline for Spring is December 1.
  • International students — deadline for Fall is July 1; deadline for Spring is November 1.           

Q: Do I need to take the GMAT, GRE or MAT?

A: Currently, the program does not require standardized testing. However, international students must take either the TOEFL exam or the IELTS exam to be considered for admission. They also can complete an English Language Institute certification program as an alternative to the test requirements. The minimum scores needed for consideration for acceptance into the graduate program in hospitality are:

  • TOEFL 587 paper-based; 95 Internet-based.
  • IELTS 7.0                       

No student will be admitted to the program if their English proficiency score does not meet the expected minimum. No probationary status will be granted to applicants who do not meet the English language minimum scores. There are many English language institutes in the United States that assist students in developing their English language skills. The Language Company, for example, is located on Widener’s campus.

Q: What is the current cost per credit hour rate and other fees and expenses?

A: The current cost per credit hour is $750.00 (U.S. Dollars). Cost per credit hour is subject to change on an annual basis, with announcement of changes in late spring of each year. For the latest information concerning the university’s fees and payment requirements, visit the Bursar’s Homepage at www.widener.edu/bursar.

Q: What are the graduation petition filing deadlines?

A: For graduation in May:  November 1st of previous calendar year; for graduation in August:  March 1st of same calendar year; for graduation in December:  July 1st of same calendar year.

Q:What is the difference between a thesis and a monograph?

A: A thesis is a written product of the systematic study of a significant problem. It clearly defines the problem, states the major assumptions, explains the significance of the undertaking, sets forth the sources for and methods of gathering information, analyzes the data, and offers a conclusion or recommendation. The finished product evidences originality, critical and independent thinking, appropriate organization and form and thorough documentation.

 An oral defense of the thesis will be required. A monograph is a significant undertaking appropriate to Hospitality and Tourism. It evidences originality and independent thinking, appropriate form and organization, and a rationale. A monograph is composed of four parts: the significance of the work, the objectives, methodology, and a conclusion or recommendation. An oral defense of the monograph is required.