School of Business Administration
- Quick Center
- tel: 610-499-4300
- fax: 610-499-x4614
- Professor of MIS & Business Analytics
- Quick Center, Room 130
- tel: 610-499-4310
FAQs, Business Analytics
What is business analytics?
Business analytics (formerly business informatics) integrates business strategy, business processes, information technologies, and human factors to design, develop, and deploy the use of information and communication technologies for business environments. It uses a multidisciplinary approach to examine and work with the integration of technology, business, and society.
What are the major differences between business analytics and management information systems (MIS)?
MIS is said to have an “explanation-oriented” focus in contrast to the “solutions-oriented” focus of business analytics. Specifically:
- Business analytics includes information technology, like the relevant portions of applied computer science, to a larger extent than MIS does.
- Business analytics includes significant construction and implementation-oriented elements (i.e., one major focus lies in the development of solutions for business problems rather than the ex post investigation of their impact).
What are some of the unique aspects of the business analytics program?
Through a careful selection of electives and planning, business analytics majors can
- Earn a SAP recognition award certificate, which alerts employers that they have valuable experience with SAP software
- Earn a minor in operations management to complement their major
- Earn the CIPM (Certified in Project Management) designation
- Learn and utilize state-of-the-art applications for business operations and decision-making (e.g., SAS, ARIS Business Architect, enterprise mobile application development) in the SAP unwired platform
- Have opportunities to compete in global competitions such as the SAP design jam, software AG innovation contests. Our student groups have excelled in recent competitions, earning the chance—with just a handful of other schools—to present their ideas at Software AG’s Innovation World conference where they also network with leaders in the industry.