alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube

Student Teaching, Education

During the senior year, students seeking a teaching certification must fulfill a full-time student teaching experience. The experience provides candidates with the opportunity to put into practice all the principles and techniques they learned in their coursework. Students receive weekly expert supervision and guidance from highly qualified supervisors that have public school experience in their certification area.

The semester-long experience is a total immersion into the field as a practicing educator at a local school. Students are expected to prepare and execute full lesson plans under the guidance of a cooperating teacher and guidance from a university supervisor.

Do I Get to Choose Where I am Placed for Student Teaching?

Widener offers tristate placements for student teaching, which means you can be close to home in New Jersey, Delaware, or Pennsylvania.

Each candidate applies for student teaching in their junior year. Students indicate where they will most likely be living for student teaching. The student teaching placement is arranged through the Office of Certification as close to that address as possible.

Are There Required Classes to Take During Student Teaching?

Yes. Students are required to register for one course designed to coordinate with their student teaching placement. This course does not meet every week, and is designed to give practical experience in collaborating with teachers and other support staff to design a plan of action for a student.

Can I Student Teach Abroad?

Students have the option to be student teachers around the world through Educators Abroad. This one-semester program gives students a worldly perspective and prepares them to be well-equipped educators in a globally-connected society.

Student teaching abroad lasts for 7 weeks for early childhood and special education (PreK–4) students; 7 weeks must be completed in America.

You could potentially have a 12-week placement abroad depending on your certification program.