alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube


  • Center for Education

    • Graduate Division
    • Hyatt Hall
    • tel: 610-499-4294
    • fax: 610-499-4623
  • Katia Ciampa, PhD

FAQs, Cognitive Studies in Reading (EdD)

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the doctor of education (EdD) in cognitive studies in reading program at Widener.

If you have additional questions, please contact us by phone or e-mail (see contact information on left)

Who typically seeks a doctoral degree in cognitive studies in reading?

Many of the people seeking this degree are reading specialists, but elementary, middle, and secondary classroom teachers are also enrolled in this program along with college and community college instructors. 

Would this degree qualify me to become a college/university professor?

Yes. In fact, a number of our graduates work as tenure-track faculty at state universities in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

What other types of employment will I be qualified for with this degree?

The EdD degree is a terminal degree in the field of education. It typically advances an educator into the highest pay scale in a school district and, with appropriate certifications, can lead to employment as a reading specialist, coach, or supervisor. In private practice some of our graduates are reading tutors, educational therapists, or consultants. 

Do I need to have a master's degree to begin my doctoral studies?

You do not need a master's degree, but you must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution. It is possible, however, to complete a master's degree as you pursue the EdD.

Do I need to be a reading teacher to enroll in this program?

No, in fact, many of our program graduates are certified in special education, not reading. There are also elementary, middle, and high school classroom teachers seeking this degree.

Are any of the courses offered online?

Currently, none of our core reading courses are offered totally online, although some courses are offered in a hybrid format that reduces the number of visits to campus. A few general courses required across programs are offered online (e.g. ED 510 Applications of Educational Measurement).

How long does it take to finish the program if I am working full time?

We try to offer enough courses each term so that students can complete the coursework in less than three years. Following the coursework, the dissertation typically takes about two years. However, many students take only one course a term during the school year and two or three during the summer. This would mean three to four years for completion of the initial coursework.