alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube


  • Center for Education

    • Graduate Division
    • Hyatt Hall
    • tel: 610-499-4294
    • fax: 610-499-4623
  • Dr. Marcia V. Bolton

FAQs, Home & School Visitor (MEd)

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the master of education (MEd) in home & school visitor program at Widener.

If you have additional questions, please contact us by phone or e-mail (see contact information on left) or schedule a visit.

I have my master of social work. What can I add on with the home & school visitor program?

A home & school visitor certification will allow you to work in the school setting while utilizing your social work skills. This certification will add depth to your ability to reach out to families and students who rely on the home & school visitor to be a liaison between the school and home environments.

How long does it take to complete the home & school visitor program?

You can obtain certification in as few as two semesters. If you seek a master’s degree it will take you longer, but depending on your transcripts and what transfers you have, it may be shorter than completing the program in its entirety. 

Can any part of this program be taken online?

There are several courses that are offered totally online such as ED 624: English Language Learners. Although not all courses are offered online, some hybrid courses (i.e., meetings that take place face-to-face and online), are combined to deliver content to candidates in the most efficient way possible. 

What is the difference between a school counselor and a home & school visitor?

Similar to the role of the school counselor, the home & school visitor addresses the personal and social barriers and issues in the school, home, and community that may impede a student’s academic achievement.  

Do I receive certification to teach by completing this program?

Candidates that come into the program with a social work license earn a home & school visitor certification after all required coursework is completed. If you do not possess a social work license, you will be required to complete more coursework and complete a practicum experience. Additional add-on certifications can be earned by completing an assessment test.