alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube

FAQs, Special Education (MEd)

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the master of education (MEd) in special education programs at Widener.

If you have additional questions, please contact us by phone or e-mail (see contact information on left) or schedule a visit.

What special education program options are offered at Widener?

The Center for Education offers two unique graduate degrees and certification programs that emphasize the importance of special education in the PreK–8th grade school system and special education assistive technology. 

I have an early childhood, middle level, or reading certification. Am I able to obtain certification in special education without having to complete a master’s degree?

Yes, we will review your graduate and undergraduate transcripts to determine exactly what coursework you will need to be able to apply for certification.

How are the courses delivered?

Courses are taught through evening, online, and blended course formats and the program can be started at the beginning of any semester.

Are there state tests I am required to take to be certified?

Yes, the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) requires candidates take and pass two Pennsylvania Educator Certification Tests (PECT). These computer-based assessments are intended to measure the candidate’s knowledge and skills in the area of special education. You may take one or both modules in one sitting. Please see for additional information on these assessments.

Can I take courses before applying to the program?

Individuals may take up to two courses as non-matriculated students.