alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube

FAQs, Teacher Education (MEd)

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the master of education (MEd) in teacher education programs at Widener. 

If you have additional questions, please contact us by phone or e-mail (see contact information on left) or schedule a visit.

Do I have to take off 14 weeks to student teach?

You do not have to take off work to student teach if you have a teaching position. Widener supervisors can supervise you as you work in your classroom. If your job is not teaching, you will need to take off 14 weeks or enter our intern program for an alternate supervision experience.

Will any of my undergraduate education courses count toward progam completion? How soon will I complete my certification program?

Your advisor will meet with you and discuss all options for transfer course credits. The State Department of Education has certain course requirements that must be met and Widener has programmatic requirements that need to be met so candidates are well prepared to step into the classroom. Of course if you come to certification with years of teaching in a non-public institution, that work experience will be considered toward your program completion. Your advisor will work to create a unique ‘you’ program to allow you to finish as quickly as possible but yet be fully prepared to teach.

I work full-time; can I fit this program into my schedule?

Widener’s teaching degrees are flexible programs and can be attended either part-time or full-time. Most of our students are working professionals and can easily fit this program into their schedules because classes are held during the week and in the evening.

Am I limited to teaching in Pennsylvania, or does my teaching license allow me to teach in New Jersey or Delaware as well?

The State of Pennsylvania has reciprocity agreements with more than 40 states including New Jersey, Delaware, and New York. 

Do I need basic skills assessment tests?


Can I get certified without completing a master’s degree?