alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube


  • Center for Education

    • Hyatt Hall
    • tel: 610-499-4294
    • fax: 610-499-4623

FAQs, Early Childhood and Special Education

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the early childhood and special education program at Widener.

If you have additional questions, please contact us by phone or e-mail (see contact information on left) or schedule a visit.

What grades am I certified for when I finish the early childhood and special education program at Widener?

General education is grades PreK through grade 4. Special education is PreK through grade 8.

Will my certification in Pennsylvania travel well to other states?

Pennsylvania certifications travel very well. Most states you seek certification in will issue you a license without additional coursework or testing.

What state tests do I need and when do I have to take them?

If you have 1550 on your SAT tests or above a 23 on ACT tests you do not have to take the state department’s basic skills battery: Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA). If you need to take PAPA, you must pass reading, writing, and math basic skills tests before you start 1300 level coursework. Before your student teaching semester, you must attempt to pass the Pennsylvania educator certifications test (PECT) (preK–4 and middle level) or Praxis II test (secondary certs). 

What about add-on certifications?

After you receive initial certification license, you can test into “add-on certifications.” For example, if you receive your initial certification in early childhood and special education, you can take a content test (Praxis II) to add on a secondary content area.