alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube


FAQs, Elementary Education: The Middle Years

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the elementary education middle years program at Widener University.

If you have additional questions, please contact us by phone or e-mail (see contact information on left) or schedule a visit.

Do I need a specialized area for middle years?

Yes, areas of concentration are English/language arts, science, social studies, and math.

Will my certification in Pennsylvania travel well to other states?

Pennsylvania certifications travel very well. Most states you seek certification in will issue you a license without additional coursework or testing. If you know you will seek certification in another state, please see Dr. Marcia Bolton to get some pointers on what to do and how to arrange your program.

Can I get an add-on certification?

After you receive your initial certification license, you can test into “add-on certifications.” For example, if you receive your initial certification in early childhood/special education, you can take a content test (Praxis II) to add on a secondary content area.

What state tests do I need and when do I have to take them?

If you have 1550 on your SAT tests or above a 23 on ACT tests you do not have to take the state department’s basic skills battery: Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA). If you need to take PAPA, you must pass the reading, writing, and math basic skills tests before you start 1300 level coursework. Before your student teaching semester, you must attempt to pass the Pennsylvania educator certifications test (PECT) (pre-K and middle level) or Praxis II test (secondary certs).