alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube


  • Center for Education

    • Hyatt Hall
    • tel: 610-499-4294
    • fax: 610-499-4623

FAQs, Secondary Education (7–12)

Find answers to frequently asked questions about the secondary education program at Widener.

If you have additional questions, please contact us by phone or e-mail (see contact information on left) or schedule a visit.

Will I have an education advisor or an advisor in my major field of study?

You will have an advisor in your major in the Arts and Sciences and also one in Education.

How much field experience will I have before I begin my student teaching?

You will have field experiences in six education classes that all have field assignments attached to them. You will also have opportunities to volunteer or do activities in schools as the need arises or your secondary content area designates. Your time in the field can vary according to course requirements.

Where will I do my student teaching?

Placements for student teaching are secured from a student’s address on the student teaching application submitted in the late junior year. In essence, we try to get you within a 30-mile trip to the student teaching placement school.

What types of classes will I be prepared to teach?

You will have courses that teach you about special education, the developmental characteristics of the adolescent learner, as well as methodologies associated with your specific content area in addition to a full semester of student teaching. Using these pedagogical courses in concert with your major focus in your chosen discipline, you will be prepared to teach that subject matter in the middle or high school setting.

If I choose secondary education certification, will I be able to teach at the middle school or elementary school level?

Since the secondary certification spans grades 7-12, you can work in middle schools but only in these specific grade levels.

Where have Widener graduates found jobs in secondary education?

Many graduates work very close to Widener in school districts such as Interboro, Ridley, Springfield, Chichester and South East Delco. We have graduates at the Bonner Prendie private school as well.

Will my certification in Pennsylvania travel well to other states?

Pennsylvania certifications travel very well. Most states you seek certification in will issue you a license without additional coursework or testing.