Degree Programs, Human Sexuality Studies

The Center for Human Sexuality Studies (CHSS) offers a practice-oriented master of education (MEd) and research-oriented doctor of philosophy (PhD) degree in human sexuality studies through two tracks: sexuality education and sex therapy.

Interdisciplinary program offerings with Widener’s social work, clinical psychology, and counselor education (school counseling) programs provide professional training combined with a specialization in sexuality. 

Learn more about our graduate degree offerings and how you can tailor your education through CHSS to suit your professional needs and personal interests.

Master of Education (MEd)

With our master of education degree, you will gain the knowledge and skills needed to become a leader in the field of human sexuality as either a sexuality educator or sex therapist.

Our curriculum is based upon best practices in the training of sexologists and provides the foundation for certification through the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT)

The training you receive will enhance your mental health or education practice with a specialization in human sexuality. The MEd is an ideal degree for aspiring or current practitioners.

Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)

The doctor of philosophy degree allows you to build upon master-level coursework and acquire skills and knowledge needed to further inform the study and practice of human sexuality through research in the field, as well as through teaching at the collegiate level. The doctoral coursework places emphasis on qualitative and quantitative research design and methodology. 

Interdisciplinary Programs

Our campus and hybrid interdisciplinary programs are ideal if you do not hold a licensable, clinical degree but wish to earn one concurrently with our MEd or PhD degree in human sexuality. We offer programs in conjunction with Widener’s Center for Social Work Education and Institute for Clinical Psychology. We also offer a program with the Center for Education, which allows you to earn a PA certificate in school counseling.