The program espouses a philosophy where practitioners are partners in furthering the health and wellness of our clients, their support network, our communities, and society. The contemporary practitioner uses the best available evidence, client values, and clinical expertise as they collaborate with other professionals to assist clients in realizing their potential, modify their lifestyles, and renew personal objectives. To prepare students to be contemporary practitioners, faculty remain active in clinical practice, scholarly inquiry, and professional engagement serving as role models and mentors for students.
Educational Methods and Principles
The program's educational methods are built on the principles of adult education and established around a belief in the learner as a self-directed adult ready to initiate and assume the responsibility for learning. The faculty guide learning experiences and provide opportunities for a variety of experiential, interactive, and self-directed learning incorporating innovation and technology. Students and faculty develop sustainable relationships and programs with community partners providing a meaningful context for reciprocal learning and engagement.
- Faculty and program staff establish collegial relationships with students as a method to foster leadership potential and professional responsibility.
- Students provide an integral part of the learning process, establishing patters for lifelong acquisition and integration of new knowledge.
- Faculty emphasize engaged teaching and excellence in clinical practice, both of which are enhanced by scholarly inquiry and professional service.
- Faculty actively mentor students in ways that foster a commitment to their own professional development and provide positive role models in community and professional engagement.
- Faculty and students espouse the profession's core values as a meaningful framework for interactions among and between students, faculty, clients, and our communities.
- Together, faculty, program staff, and students are committed to making a positive difference in the health and wellness of the communities in which we work, live, and learn.