alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube

Field Education, Social Work

Program Highlight

 front of social work clinic

Widener Social Work Clinics

Students can complete their fieldwork at the Widener-run Social Work Counseling Services (SWCS) and its three affiliated programs:

  • Widener Community Connections (WCC)
  • Clinical Services for Vulnerable Adults (CSVA)
  • Community Outreach, Resources, and Engagement (CORE)

The Council on Social Work Education identifies field education as one of the most important parts of a social work education. In field placements, students have the opportunity to apply classroom learning in an agency setting. This learning takes place under the direction and supervision of a trained field instructor who is employed by the agency and skilled in working with students.


To maintain a quality field education program in an ever-changing social service environment, Widener adheres to these basic principles that are central to the social work field program both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. 

  • Integrated Model

Widener faculty and field instructors work hand-in-hand to support students so they can practice in the field agency what they learn in the classroom. The practice faculty members serve as liaisons to the students’ field instructors.

  • Individualized Placement Process

Students meet individually with a field director to plan a placement to meet their learning needs. Both the generalist and the clinical field placements are developed collaboratively with students’ work experiences, interests, location, and practice goals in mind. 

  • Support for Continued Growth of Field Instructors

Our agency field instructors are supported throughout the field year by the faculty field liaisons and through continuing education and training provided to them free of charge.

Field Placement Requirements and Placements Options

Refer to the bachelor of social work (BSW) and master of social work (MSW) pages for field placement requirements and placement options.