Study Abroad Programs

Two Options

  1. Our faculty members provide students with opportunities to participate in short-term study abroad and service-learning projects over winter and spring breaks as well as during the summer. Faculty post information about these opportunities.

    As a student, you can study abroad in the summer, in the fall, in the spring, or for the entire academic year. Take courses in your major or as electives. Or take a combination of both. After you select your program, you'll discuss your academic needs with their advisors and the Study Abroad Coordinator.
  2. Through Widener’s cooperative agreements with other colleges, universities, and nonprofit groups, students can arrange a summer, semester, or year of study or work abroad.
    The university sponsors a few Study Abroad Fairs each year so that students can obtain information about these programs.

Study Abroad Panel

Widener students and faculty offer a Study Abroad Panel every semester. Through the panel, students hear about opportunities for study abroad and meet other Widener students who have returned from abroad. Interested students are then directed to meet with the Coordinator of Undergraduate Study Abroad Programs.

In subsequent individual sessions, with the Study Abroad Coordinator, students: find out about numerous programs through promotional materials and videos.

They also need to:

  • Meet with an academic advisor to discuss curricular options.
  • Contact the staff of Career Services or the Co-op Office for advice on working abroad as an intern, co-op student, or worker in the economy.
  • Plan with the Student Financial Services Office for receiving continued aid.
  • Make additional arrangements as required by the individual programs.
  • Notify the registrar of OC 100 status.

The increasing number of Widener students going abroad indicates the growing interest in obtaining international experience during the undergraduate career. The success of participants requires some curricular flexibility, which can be best realized when students take initiative early.

Students in majors with few free electives should speak with their deans or assistant deans. A student wishing to obtain work experience while studying abroad may do so as a volunteer, as part of a career internship, as part of an academic internship, or as part of the Co-op program at Widener. In addition to speaking with the Study Abroad Coordinator, students are advised to speak to Career Services staff, and the internship coordinator of their academic area.