Video Program Highlight
Widener University Co-op Experience
The co-op program allows students to gain up to one full year of compensated work experience throughout their studies and still graduate within four years. View a video here.
Widener’s co-op program — the springboard to career success
It takes more than classroom learning to succeed in today’s job market. It takes practical know-how, strong leadership, and excellent communication skills. The cooperative education program puts a premium on all three.
What is co-op? Think of it as an internship with a salary. Or think of it as a job, a job with extra supervision—and extra responsibility—in your field of study. A job that’s actually part of your curriculum. It lets you work in your profession while you learn your profession.
For over 35 years, Widener’s cooperative education and internship programs have helped students connect classroom learning with real-world experiences and gain the confidence, courage, competency, and connections they need for professional success.
The Benefits of Co-operative Education at Widener
Widener’s nationally-recognized co-op program gets top marks from students and employers.
- Co-op students earn competitive hourly rates ranging from $13 in computer science to $18.35 in chemical engineering.
- Widener has one of the only co-op programs where you can complete your undergraduate degree in four years.
- Widener students earn an average of more than $30,000 over two co-op placements.
- For many students, like mechanical engineering/physics major Kyle Kendall ’11 who was selected for Lockheed Martin’s Leadership Development Program after two co-op rotations with the company, co-op is the gateway to exciting professional opportunities.
- 75% of students who participate in co-op graduate in four years; the national four-year graduation rate is 45%.
Connections that Work
Participate in Widener’s co-op program and you’ll have access to a diverse group of 400 local, regional, and national employers, many of them located only 20 minutes away in Philadelphia. Plus, you’ll be plugged into an international network of successful alumni who can help you land the job of your dreams once you graduate.
Schedule a visit to learn more about Widener’s co-op program.