Federal Grants

There are two kinds of grants available from the federal government:

  1. Pell Grants
    Pell grants, federal need-based grant administered by the Office of Student Financial Services, are awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. Pell grant awards are calculated at the end of drop/add each semester. The amount of the award is based on the students registration at that time.The exact amount depends on your need and your enrollment. For example, if eligible, you will receive less as a part-time student than you will as a full-time student. 
  2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
    FSEOG are grants for undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. Applicants must also be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant. However, not every student receiving a Federal Pell Grant will receive an FSEOG. Awards are given to the students with the most need, according to the availability of funding.

State Grants

State grant award levels and eligibility criteria are controlled by the awarding state. Generally, state grants are awarded on the basis of need and limited to students attending schools within their own state of residence.

Some states, such as Delaware, have reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania, so that you can receive their grants while studying in Pennsylvania.

All financial aid applicants who are residents of Pennsylvania, Delaware, or other reciprocal states are expected to apply for their state grant.

Widener Grant-In-Aid

Widener Grant-In-Aid is awarded from Widener University resources to full-time undergraduate day students who are pursuing their first degree and demonstrate financial need. Eligible students may receive up to eight semesters of grant assistance.

Students who complete the financial aid process are automatically considered for Widener Grant-In-Aid. A separate application is not needed.