alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Are scholarships available for transfer students?

A: YES! Every transfer applicant is reviewed for a merit scholarship. Awards can range from $8,000 to $16,000, depending on the student's cumulative grade point average and the student's major. Please note that part-time students and students who are pursuing a second bachelor's degree are not eligible for a merit scholarship.

Q: Is housing available for transfer students?

A: Yes, housing is available for all full-time undergraduate day students.

Q: I have attended multiple post-secondary institutions. How does this affect the decision making process at Widener?

A: Widener University will calculate a cumulative GPA from all institutions attended before rendering a decision. An applicant is required to submit official transcripts from all institutions that he/she has attended.

Q: Will you accept a faxed copy of my transcript?

A: No. You must submit an official transcript(s) which should be sent directly from the institution you attended to the Widener University Office of Admissions.

Q: Are interviews required?

A: Interviews are not required, although they are offered. Please contact the Office of Admissions at 610-499-4126 to arrange an appointment. When on campus, you may also want to consider taking a campus tour.

Q: How do I find out if my credits transfer to Widener?

A: Once a transfer student is accepted to Widener, there will be a transfer course equivalency report included in the acceptance packet. Although priority is given to applicants, the transfer coordinator will make every effort to perform an unofficial evaluation of credits for those students that have not yet applied. Students must submit course descriptions for an unofficial evaluation.

Q: I submitted my application a long time ago. Why haven't I received a decision yet?

A: Transfer applications are reviewed on a semester by semester basis. Review of fall semester transfer applications will begin early in the preceding spring semester. Review of spring semester applications will begin early in the preceding fall semester. It is the student's responsibility to have all application materials submitted to the Office of Admissions. Be sure to make arrangements to have your official transcript(s) submitted. Once all materials are received, you can expect to hear a decision within 4 to 6 weeks.

Q: My acceptance letter indicates a deposit due date. What happens if I do not send my deposit by this date?

A: If you do not submit your deposit by the deadline indicated in your acceptance letter, your admissions may be cancelled. Please be sure to contact the Office of Admissions if you are unable to meet your deposit deadline.

Q: Is it possible that my acceptance will be revoked?

A: Admissions decisions are generally made during the semester prior to the anticipated start term. Therefore, the student will be admitted before their final semester grades are available. It is the expectation that the student will successfully complete the current coursework. If the official final transcript does not demonstrate successful completion, the Office of Admissions will revoke the offer of admission.

Q: I have completed less than one semester of coursework at my current college. What should I do?

A: You should apply as a transfer student, since you have completed post-secondary coursework since graduating from high school. Send in your official college transcript*, but also your official high school transcript and SAT scores. We need the high school credentials because less than 12 college credits is not enough information to evaluate your academic performance.

* If your college credits are "in progress", please still submit your high school credentials as soon as possible, and then send your college transcript when the semester is completed.

Q: In high school, I received some college credit for some of my courses. Should I apply as a transfer student?

A: No. If the courses you took were during high school and/or counted as courses toward your high school graduation, you should apply as a freshmen. Be sure to send an official transcript from the school that granted the credit, as soon as possible. Your courses will be evaluated for transfer credit and will most likely affect what courses you schedule for freshmen year.

Q: Where do I send my transcripts?

A: Please send official transcripts to:
Widener University
Office of Admissions
One University Place
Chester, PA 19013

When your transcripts arrive, we will collate them with your application file.

Q: I know that my current school needs to be accredited in order for Widener to accept transfer credit. There are many accreditation agencies; which accreditation is necessary?

A: Widener will transfer credit from any regionally-accredited institutions. The regional accreditation agencies are:

  • Middle States Association of College and Schools
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Higher Learning Commission
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges