Events & Activities
It happens at Widener.
Widener’s homegrown events and activities kick off with our Welcome Back Bash and Homecoming Weekend, which includes our very own golf cart float parade. When spring fever hits, we’re ready with a karaoke-style songfest, pie-eating contest, and other Greek Week/Spring Fling antics/activities.
We make the most of our close proximity to Philadelphia, too. Our Philadelphia Speakers Series, for example, brings luminaries like former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, journalist Christiane Amanpour, and environmental advocate Robert Kennedy Jr. to campus to share their expertise.
Want to know what’s happening on campus right now? With real-time updates via Campus Cruiser, you’ll never miss out on the fun.
Check out some of Widener’s events and activities.
- Welcome Back Bash | Leave the unpacking for later, and join this fun outdoor party with inflatables, a DJ, speakers, and more.
- Homecoming Weekend | Kick off three days of festivities/partying at the Friday night concert with pop stars like Travie McCoy.
- Pride Nights | Play laser tag, get a face painting, and more at University Center.
- Greek Week/Spring Fling | Play old-time games like the bean bag toss, be part of the songfest audience, or join your friends in other outdoor activities.
- Italian Cinema Night | Live La Dolce Vita at these monthly screenings held in Alumni Auditorium.
- TGIS (Thank God It’s Saturday) | Hop on Widener’s free shuttle for a day of shopping at Granite Run Mall.
Schedule a visit to learn more about events and activities at Widener University.
Dean Fred Akl
Professor Fred A. Akl, dean of the School of Engineering, discusses his work with NASA during the STS-63 and STS-71 space shuttle missions.
At the Health Annex
Lynn Freda, a nurse and graduate student in Widener's Family Nurse Practitioner master's program, talks about her experiences working with Dr. Shirlee Drayton-Brooks, associate professor at the School of Nursing.
Dr. Marina Barnett
Dr. Marina Barnett, associate professor in the Center for Social Work Education, talks about the leadership qualities she sees in her students. Also, Dr. Barnett gives an amazing Widener rallying cry. Check it out!
Catherine Rawlings '14
Catherine Rawlings, a junior from West Chester, Pa., talks about why she participates in the AmeriCorps Community Fellows program at Widener.
Dr. Jeannette Wyatt
Assistant Professor Jenny Wyatt discusses the work and impact of the Widener Center for Violence Prevention.
Dr. Nadine McHenry
Associate Professor Nadine McHenry talks about the importance of exposing teacher candidates to schoolchildren from different contexts.
The 1821 Experience
In this pre-orientation program, you will explore how multiculturalism adds to the college experience and connect with other students on campus.
This multi-day backpacking trip, led by members of the Outdoor Adventure Club, offers incoming Widener students a chance to build self-confidence and a social network of like-minded students on campus while having fun in the Appalachian Mountains.
This student life leadership program, Enhancing Leadership Experience Via Activities, Training, and Engagement, aka ELEVATE, allows you to build or hone your leadership skills with learning tracks for emerging student leaders.
The Oskin Leaders program inspires and equips Widener undergraduates to courageously leverage their passion and leadership skills to create significant, positive change.