What comes with my room?

Each student space is equipped with a desk, desk chair, bed, ceiling light, window treatments, closet space and drawer space. Basic cable and network access are also provided. You must provide your own phone, answering machine, wastebasket and desk lamp.

Should I bring a computer on-campus with me?

A new state-of-the-art switched gigabit network is available for all students to use in their rooms. Students should purchase their own computers and network equipment to bring to campus.

Suppose I want to go to sleep early and my roommate wants to stay up late and listen to music?

Well, you should talk to your resident assistant to see if you can work out your differences. If that doesn't work, you could see if anyone else on your floor has a similar issue and might want to change. Finally, if that doesn't work, you could ask Residence Life for assistance in finding a different room and roommate.

What should I bring?

It’s a good idea to check with your roommate prior to move-in day to avoid duplicating certain items like a TV, microwave, or refrigerator.

For Move-In Day, you might want to bring cold drinks, a hand cart, and a towel.

What To Bring
Alarm Clock Hair dryer Supplies for room to shower Blanket, quilt, or comforter
Laundry supplies Clothesbasket Rubber shower shoes Calculator
Paper, envelopes, tape and stapler Shower caddy Cleaning Products Personal care products
Flashlight Iron and Ironing Board Soap Clothes hangers
Pillows and linens for single extra-long bed Surge protectors Desk lamp and light bulbs Plates, mugs, and glasses
Telephone Desk supplies like pens, pencils, notecards and Post-its Towels and washcloths First-aid kit
Radio/iPod Utensils Wastebasket Answering machine
What NOT To Bring
Broilers Cinder blocks Electric frying pan Halogen lamps
Hearing coils Hot plates Immersion coils Lofts
Pets Power tools Space heaters Water beds
Appliances with open coils or burners Candles (including decorative ones) Decorative lights (string lights, etc.) Alcohol (including empty containers, etc.)
Furniture without fire retardant material Weapons, firearms, or explosive devices George Foreman™ grills Live Christmas trees
Nails, hooks, double-faced adhesive tape, or other items that damage walls Power cords without a multi-plug power strip with an internal circuit breaker Toaster ovens, toasters, griddles or any open element appliances Window air conditioners

What happens to my stuff over break?

Residential facilities, other than those designated as academic year-round housing, are closed at Thanksgiving, winter, midterm breaks, and spring holiday. Fall and spring semester break housing is intended for co-op students, student teachers, and some athletes. Residents in this type of housing must submit a written request to the Office of Residence Life with the appropriate academic verification 14 business days in advance of the break's first day.

When are quiet hours?

Residents in each hall are expected to act in a manner conducive to effective study. Each resident must adhere to this basic expectation. Quiet hours in all residence halls and apartments will be from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m., Sunday through Thursday, and midnight to 10 a.m. on Friday and Saturday during normal school session. In addition, 24-hour/day quiet hours go into effect prior to final exam week and continue through closing. Residents are expected to be considerate of others at all hours.

Are the residence halls co-ed?

Residence halls are co-ed by floor, wing or suite depending on the style of the building.

What's the policy on room changes?

The Office of Residence Life reserves the right to reassign any student to a different room at any time. While every attempt will be made to notify the resident student of changes in room assignment prior to his or her arrival on campus, situations may arise that make this impossible. Once a student occupies his or her assigned room, the assignment may not be changed unless the Office of Residence Life gives approval.

What is the university's policy on smoking?

In July 2010, the university implemented a tobacco-free policy that prohibits the use of tobacco anywhere on campus.

Can I bring liquor on campus?

It depends on a number of factors. Please see the Student Drug and Alcohol Policy in the Student Handbook for a complete description of Widener's rules and regulations covering alcohol.

Can I bring my dog?

With the exception of fish tanks under 10 gallons, all animals -- except for service animals -- are not permitted in residence halls or other university facilities.

What furniture can I bring?

It depends on what you negotiate with your roommate.

I lost my room key. What do I do?

Room keys are picked up and returned to the Office of Residence Life. If keys are lost the student must report the lost key to the Office of Residence Life, the lock will be replaced and new keys will be issued. Students will be charged an $85 fee to cover the cost of having a lock replaced. If a key is damaged or broken the student will not be charged any fees as long as all parts of the key are returned to the Office of Residence Life.

How do you make roommate assignments?

Each incoming student will fill out an application for housing. On this form, students should answer the questions accurately so that they may be matched up with a compatible individual for their roommate. If a student knows another student that they want to room with, they may indicate so on the application. Every effort will be made to accommodate this request, as long as both students indicate a wish to room with one another and their housing applications are submitted around the same time frame.

Who can live off-campus?

To qualify for commuter status, a student must live at home with parent(s) or legal guardian(s) and within 25 miles from the university or from his/her co-op, internship, or student teaching location.

All full-time students who are either married, are the custodial parents of a child, veterans with at least two years of active military service, or 24 years of age or older may reside off campus (no married student housing is available on campus). Students falling into this category must complete the appropriate form and submit it to the Office of Residence Life.

For more information, visit the Residence Life & Judicial Affairs page on CampusCruiser.

Do I have insurance?

Please see the Student Handbook under Residence Life: Program Policies, Procedures, and Regulations section F 7 Personal Property Insurance Coverage.