Part of the Freshman Quads, Cann Hall opened in 1960 and is located on 14th Street near University Center and Old Main. It can accommodate about 100 students who live in double rooms on single-sex floors throughout the co-ed building. Each floor features a lounge, a community bathroom, and coin-operated laundry facilities. Cann Hall also features a vending area in the the lobby.
Rooms are furnished with two single beds, two desks, two chairs, two dressers, and one armoire. Each room also comes equipped with two phone jacks, two Ethernet ports and one cable jack. Wireless internet is also available.
- Approximate room dimensions are 11'8"x11'8", while end rooms are a bit larger at 12'3" x 11'9"
- Windows measure 4'3" x 3'2"
- Furniture and room layout may vary.
About George Cann
George Turner Cann was born in Savannah, Georgia on July 22, 1866. He graduated from Pennsylvania Military Academy in 1885 after only three years, with the distinctions of being ranking cadet officer as well as valedictorian. In 1886, Cann received his LL.D from Columbia College (now University) and was admitted to the Georgia Bar. From 1887- 1892, Cann served as the official court reporter of the Eastern Judicial Circuit Court of Georgia and as a judge on this circuit court from 1904- 1908. In addition, he was the Chatham County attorney for three terms and practiced law in the private sector for Anderson, Cann, and Cann.
George Cann was an active participant in many civic and fraternal organizations. He served as Grand Chancellor of the Knights of Pythias in 1911, president of the Savannah Board of Trade from 1917- 1918, president of the Five Ports Association, secretary of the Georgia Historical Society, curator of the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences, director of the YMCA, and finally was the author of Requests to Change in Criminal and Civil Cases. Using the military background attained at PMC, Cann enlisted in the Savannah Volunteer Guards in 1887 and advanced to captain in 1892. In 1897, he was appointed colonel and Inspector General of Rifle Practice of the Georgia State Troops. Cann also continued his involvement with his alma mater. A member of the Board of Trustees at PMC from 1924- 1937, Cann was awarded the Honorary Degrees of Master of Arts in 1892 and Doctor of Laws in 1935. George Turner Cann died on November 10, 1937.