Dixon Hall North and Dixon Hall South are located on Walnut Street, directly across from Wolfgram Memorial Library and a short walk from the Kapelski and Kirkbride academic buildings. About 20 upperclassmen live in each building, where students are divided into single-sex apartments on co-ed floors. Each unit features a private bathroom, a kitchenette with a microwave, and an unfurnished living room. While there are no vending areas or lounges outside the individual units, each apartment features air-conditioning and free laundry facilities.
Note:Lighting in the Living Room area is limited. The Office of Residence Life recommends that students bring compliant floor or table lamps.
- Bedroom dimensions are 18'10" x 9'4"
- Living room dimensions are 11' x 18'10"
- Non-carpeted floors
About Fitz Dixon
Fitz Eugene Dixon, Jr., descendant and heir of Philadelphia's prominent Widener family, was born in 1922. In the 1800's, Peter Arrell Brown Widener built the family's wealth through the meat industry and street railway systems. Peter's son, George Dunton Widener, and grandson, Harry Elkins Widener, died on the Titanic in 1912. George D. Widener's daughter, Eleanor, married Fitz Eugene Dixon Sr. soon after the tragedy. F. Eugene Dixon Jr. attended the Episcopal Academy and Harvard University. Beginning in 1943, he spent 16 years as a teacher and administrator at Episcopal before retiring to dedicate himself to education, health, sports, and civic organizations.
Dixon served on the board of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Free Library of Philadelphia, Liberty National Bank, and Provident National Bank. An avid sportsman, F. Eugene Dixon owned a minority share of the Flyers and a majority share of the 76ers. Dixon also owned the Philadelphia Wings professional lacrosse team from 1975 to 1977, when the league folded. Perhaps most significant of all of F. Eugene Dixon's interests was his unwavering commitment of time and money to the advancement of education. F. Eugene Dixon had a long relationship with PMC College(s) / Widener University. He joined the Board of Trustees in 1960 and became its Chairman in 1972. He held this position from 1972- 1984 and again from 1987- December 1998. Under Dixon's leadership, the Board of Trustees voted to dissolve the cadet corps and rename the school Widener College. The name was chosen to honor F. Eugene Dixon's family. In 1973, Dixon received the first honorary LL.D in the history of Widener College. F. Eugene Dixon died in August 2006 at the age of 82.