Hanna Hall is part of the first year quad area and is located at the corner of 14th street and Melrose Avenue. The three floors are divided into two wings, with men living on one side and women on the other. While housing is co-ed by floor, each wing features a single sex community bathroom. The building also features a laundry facility and vending area on the first floor. Occupancy is approximately 150 students.
Rooms are furnished with two single beds, two desks, two chairs, one dresser and two armoires. Each room also comes equipped with two Ethernet ports, a cable jack and wireless internet.
- Approximate room dimensions are 12'3" x 12'0"
- Windows measure 4'3" x 3'2"
- Floors are not carpeted and rooms come with overhead lighting
Furniture and room layout may vary.
About John Hanna
Born in 1907 in Chester, PA, John R. Hanna resided at 1123 Upland St. until age 10, when his family moved to Swarthmore. Hanna graduated from Swarthmore High School in 1926 and later graduated from Pennsylvania Military College in 1930 with a degree in civil engineering.
While at PMC, he was a star guard on the football team and was a member of Beta Zeta Epsilon Fraternity. In 1947, Hanna became a partner in his family business John R. Hanna and Sons, a contracting business which installed most of Chester's sidewalks, and later went on to be its president and owner.
John Hanna held leadership positions in many local businesses throughout his life. Among them: owner of Castle Materials Inc., Central Concrete Plant and Consumers Fuel and Oil Co., partial ownership and a seat on the board of directors at Chester Times (now Delaware County Daily Times), and treasurer of the Thayer Corporation. As an active alumnus, Hanna became a member of the PMC Board of Trustees in 1955 and later served as president of the Alumni Association Board of Managers. At the time of his death in 1982 at age 74, Hanna served as a trustee emeritus.