Howell Hall's three floors are divided into two wings, with men living on one side and women on the other. While housing is co-ed by floor, each wing features a single-sex community bathroom. There are coin-operated laundry facilities on every floor, with a vending area located in the building's community lounge on the first level. Occupancy is approximately 100 students.
The building's double rooms are furnished with two single beds, two desks, two chairs, two dressers, and one armoire. There are Wireless Internet connections throughout the building, and each room is equipped with two Ethernet ports, two phone jacks and one cable television output.
- Approximate room dimensions are 11'9" x 11'8"
- Windows measure 4'3" x 3'2"
- Floors are not carpeted but rooms do come with overhead lighting
Furniture and room layout may vary.
About Edwin Howell
Edwin A. Howell was born on May 11, 1871 in New Market, N. J. His father worked as a civil engineer and in 1887 was hired by Pennsylvania Military College as a Professor of Engineering. Having completed one year of study at Alfred University, in New York, Howell choose to follow his father and joined the class of 1890. This represented the start of his life-long association with PMC.
Howell graduated first in his class with a degree in civil engineering. He also achieved the rank of lieutenant in the cadet corps. After graduation, Howell began his engineering career, working as assistant engineer for the Pennsylvania & Northwestern Railroad. His passion for engineering and his loyalty to his alma mater motivated Howell to return to Chester, teach engineering at PMC and pursue graduate study. He earned a Master's Degree from the college in 1911. During this time, Howell also began to "read law" with the intention on entering the legal profession.
In the early twentieth century, law firms still accepted students who studied law on their own. Howell was admitted to the Delaware County Bar in 1896 (Chester Times) and joined the law offices of William B. Broomall. The following year, Howell joined the Board of Trustees at PMC as college solicitor and secretary of the board. In 1947, he became president of the Chester Times' Board of Directors. Along with these impressive appointments, Howell continued to run a successful law practice in Chester.
PMC suffered serious financial struggles in the 1930's. Howell began to study options to create an improved financial structure and a revitalize the college. He suggested that PMC should become a non-profit institution for the public (Chester Times). In June 1936, the Hyatt family relinquished control of the college to the trustees in order to facilitate this change. When Col. Frank Hyatt retired, Howell became acting president from June 1952- August 1953; for the first time in approximately a century, a member of the Hyatt family did not serve as president. After Howell resigned the presidency, he was elected president of the Board of Trustees in March 1954, a position he held until his death in November of that year. Howell is credited with establishing a trust fund at PMC to aid students from Delaware County.