Constructed in 1980, Moll Hall provides housing for approximately 116 upperclassmen in double rooms on three co-ed floors. Favored by athletes for its relative proximity to Widener's Wellness Center, Moll is located at the intersection of Melrose Avenue and 16th Street near Memorial Field and the Academic Center North classroom building.
Each floor in the air-conditioned building features two sex-specific community bathrooms, a lounge, and a coin-operated laundry facility. There is also a handicapped-accessible room with a private bath on the first floor.
- Approximate room dimensions are 17'7" x 11'8"
- Windows measure 5'8" x 4'0"
- Furniture: two beds, two desks, two chairs and two armoires
- Connectivity: Campuswide WiFi, two Ethernet ports, two telephone jacks and one cable television output
Furniture and room layout may vary.
About Clarence Moll
Clarence Russell Moll was born on October 31, 1913 in Chalfont, Pennsylvania. He received a bachelor of science in education from Temple University in 1934, followed by a master's degree in education three years later. From 1935 to 1942, Moll taught physics, chemistry, and science at several high schools in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
During World War II, he accepted a position with the U.S. Navy instructing civilian and naval personnel in radio and radar theory. In 1943, Moll left the Navy and joined Pennsylvania Military College as an associate professor of physics and engineering. From 1945 to 1956, he held the various positions of headmaster of the prep school, registrar, and coordinator of engineering. Meanwhile, he earned his Ph.D. in higher education from New York University in 1955. In 1956, Dr. Moll became a vice president before being selected as the first civilian president of Pennsylvania Military College in 1959.
Moll's tenure would result in drastic change, growth, and expansion for the institution. Although he was dedicated to the preservation of the corps of cadets, financial necessity led to the founding of Penn Morton College, a civilian co-ed counterpart to Pennsylvania Military College in 1966. When attempts to reverse the declining enrollment and rising costs of the military component failed, the corps was disbanded in 1972 and Widener College, a civilian co-educational college, was created. Moll guided the school and continued to provide innovative options in education during this transitional period.
In 1975, the Delaware Law School was affiliated with Widener, and Brandywine College merged with Widener in 1976. On July 1, 1979, Widener achieved university status. Dr. Moll retired on June 30, 1981 after 22 years as president. He remained very active in the community, serving as president emeritus and providing advice when called upon. Dr. Moll died in December of 2002.