Thayer Hall is part of the first-year quad area and was built in 1962. The building houses approximately 100 first-year students on single-sex floors. Sometimes home to Widener's Honors Program, the co-ed building also features air-conditioning, lounge spaces, laundry facilities and a vending area.
Thayer Hall's double-rooms come with two single beds, two desks, two chairs, one dresser, and two armoires. In addition to wireless internet, rooms are equipped with two Ethernet ports and one cable output.
- Approximate room dimensions are 11'10" x 12'3"
- Windows measure 4'4" x 3'1"
- Rooms feature overhead lighting
- Furniture and room layout may vary
About Clarence Thayer
Clarence H. Thayer was born on January 15, 1898 in Stockton, California. At the age of 14, Thayer dropped out of school to work in a furniture-manufacturing firm, but supplemented his education though correspondence courses in mechanical engineering, architecture, English, and industrial management. In 1914, he began work at Standard Oil Company of California, and rose through the ranks from an office boy to shipping clerk, blueprint boy, and then draftsman.
Meanwhile, World War I erupted and Thayer enlisted in the Engineer Corps in 1917. He served in the 26th Regiment until his discharge in June 1919. After the war, Thayer resumed his job of draftsman at Standard and quickly began his rise through the company once again, earning promotions to Chief Draftsman, Project Engineer, and Assistant Superintendent of Maintenance. By August 1926, Thayer had joined Sun Oil Company in Pennsylvania as an engineer; promotions to Assistant Superintendent of Pressure Stills at the Marcus Hook refinery and Superintendent of Pressure Stills soon followed. Thayer was transferred to the Philadelphia executive offices of the Sun Oil Co. to serve as assistant to Arthur E. Pew Jr., who was then the vice president in charge of manufacturing. Within a few months, Thayer found himself named as the new Chief Engineer of the Manufacturing Department in charge of the Marcus Hook and Toledo, Ohio factories.
In 1941, Clarence Thayer was elected to the Sun Oil Co. Board of Directors, and in 1947, he was elected vice president of manufacturing. Thayer gained executive responsibility for Sun's manufacturing, research, engineering, and transportation departments when he was named senior vice president of Sun Oil Co. in April 1960. He was named president of Great Canadian Oil Sands Limited, a Sun Oil subsidiary, in 1964. This position was assigned to Thayer because Sun wanted him to direct the massive logistical and technological task of building and starting the first commercial plant to produce oil from the Athabasca oil sands in Alberta (Sun Refinery News).
Clarence Thayer's association with Pennsylvania Military College began on January 8, 1953 with his election to the PMC Board of Trustees. He served on the board during one of the rockiest periods in school history, the transition from PMC to Widener College. Thayer was very supportive of the science and engineering programs in particular, and assisted in the dedication of Kirkbride Hall, Widener's science center, in 1965. Widener was the recipient of many gifts and funds from Thayer, given through the Thayer Corporation. On August 11, 1976, Clarence H. Thayer died of lung cancer at the age of 78. At the time of his death he served as a trustee emeritus at Widener College.