alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube

FAQs for Living on Campus

Campus Highlight

virtual tour

Virtual Tour of Campus

View our virtual tour to acquaint yourself with Widener’s campus before you arrive as a student.

Find answers to frequently asked questions about living on campus at Widener University.

If you have additional questions, please contact us by phone or e-mail (see contact information on left) or schedule a visit.

Are students required to live on campus?

Yes, all full-time undergraduate (freshman, sophomore, and junior) students are required to live on campus until they attain senior class status, unless they qualify for commuter status.

What if I qualify as a commuter?

Students who qualify for commuter status are not required to live on campus. To qualify for commuter status, you must live at home with parent(s) or legal guardian(s) and within 25 miles from the university or from your co-op, internship, or student teaching location.

Why does Widener require underclassman to live on campus?

Studies show there are numerous benefits to living on campus such as better grades, higher graduation rates, and easy access to campus resources that enhance the student experience.

Where can I access my housing application?

The housing application can be found via the Housing Portal. In order to access the housing application you will first need to log in to the portal using your Widener credentials. This portal is powered by StarRez, a world-leading software that provides the most intuitive and easy-to-use system for students to apply for housing and find or select their own roommate. 

What is the deadline for my housing application?

The housing application should be submitted by May 1. If you submit your application after this date, we may not be able to honor specific room or roommate requests.

If I have someone I would like to room with, how do I indicate this preference?

Please follow the directions provided in the Housing Application to appropriately create a group with your intended roommate. Please note that once the group is created, requests need to be accepted by the individual who created the group in order for us to honor this request.

When will I know what my housing assignment is?

Students who submit applications by May 1 should receive an official letter correspondence from the Office of Residence Life via your Widener email by August 1st indicating your housing assignment information.

What are my options for meal plans?

New students can select either the platinum, gold, or silver unlimited meal plan, which includes breakfast, lunch, light lunch and dinner on weekdays and brunch and dinner on weekends. See dining options on campus.

Can PRIDE Bucks be used at Uno Pizzeria & Grill?

Yes. PRIDE Bucks are accepted as payment for food and drinks (non-alcoholic) at Uno's.

Can Dining Dollars be used at Uno Pizzeria & Grill?

No. Dining Dollars (the money that comes with your Meal Plan) can only be used at the on-campus Food Service locations.

Can Meal Exchange be used at Uno Pizzeria & Grill?

Yes. The unlimited meal plans include two meal exchange opportunities per day but only one during a meal period (lunch and dinner). Once the two meal equivalents are used, meal equivalent usage is blocked until the next day and Pride Café entrance is blocked until the next meal period begins. If any “extras” are wanted when using the meal equivalent program, the extras will be deducted from the PRIDE Bucks declining balance. Students can also choose to pay for the extras by cash or credit card. Block Meal plans allow users to use their meals however they want in Uno’s and other retail food service location per day during the stated meal exchange periods. They may use any amount of meals in the Dining Hall. If any “extras” are wanted when using the meal equivalent program, the extras will be deducted from the PRIDE Bucks declining balance. The students can also choose to pay for the extras by cash or credit card.

What is the environment like in the freshmen halls?

It is our policy that all freshmen residence halls (designated by the Office of Residence Life) are alcohol-free residences. This means that the possession and or consumption of alcoholic beverages by anyone regardless of age is prohibited. The vast majority of our freshmen are under age 21, so we believe that this policy will help to improve students’ living experiences in freshman residences.

What should I do if I need any special housing accommodations?

If you have needs that necessitate special housing accommodations, please visit the website for the Office of Disability Services. Please forward your requests and all documentation to:

Widener University Disability Services
c/o Rebecca Ross, Director
One University Place
Chester, PA 19013

What items should I purchase and bring with me to the residence halls?

You will be receiving periodic newsletters from Widener University and a detailed list of items to pack will be included. More details can also be found on our FAQs for Check-In.

What do students do on the weekend?

Students have a wide range of opportunities for weekend activities on campus. Depending on your interests, we offer a variety of weekend programming including but not limited to service activities, Student Government and Residence Hall Association events, sporting events, dance recitals, movies, plays, dance parties, guest speakers, carnivals, and socializing with friends at various campus facilities. See photos of what life is like on campus at Widener.

How do I contact the Office of Residence Life if I have any questions?

Our office can be reached by dialing 610-499-4390 or via email at

How do I contact the Bursar or Financial Aid if I have any questions about billing?

These offices can be reached by dialing 610-499-4161 or via email at or you can visit our website at