This new student wilderness backpacking program is designed to help ease the transition into Widener.
- Begins: Wednesday, August 16, 2017
- Ends: Sunday, August 20, 2017
- Cost: $150
- Capacity: 18 students
The Summit Widener backpacking and canoe trip makes the transition into the Widener Pride an epic experience for getting to know fellow students and carrying success into your first day on campus. Summit Widener uses the outdoor setting to make new friends and ease the adjustment to college. Leaders acclimate you to more than the Appalachian Trial and camping out. They will lead you to coming back to campus with new friends, new memories, and a boost of Widener confidence.
Most new adventures bring challenges and with a typical ratio of 1:6 trip leaders to participants succeeding this challenge is extremely likely. Well-trained student leaders guide the multi-day self-supported trip. Leaders focus on making sure each participant knows where they are going for the day, and how to leverage skills gained on the trip start for making friends and navigating Widener when you return to campus. Each year, students reflect on the self-confidence this trip built and carried through their first semester.
Summit Widener serves as a first-time backpacking experience for many students. If you have never been backpacking before and not being sure what to wear, Summit Widener leaders will outfit you. We have packs, tents, and more, and the leaders will provide details for the personal items you will want.
The physical effort for Summit Widener is moderate. We will be hiking on top of the mountains for the most part, but we do have to walk up to get there, and what goes up, must come down! In walking to the top and down to the bottom, we may experience an elevation gain or loss of up to 1000 feet. Some paths are narrow, rocky, and we may cross a brook with no bridge. All the while, the student leaders moderate the hiking pace, make sure packs are not too heavy, stop to take breaks, and create a team spirit to optimize success.
Camp out, make friends, and accomplish more than a physical challenge with your new Widener classmates!
To find out more, friend WU_Hiker on Facebook.
- Summit Widener starts late afternoon,Wednesday, August 16, 2017. Resident students move into their room during the day, and all participants will gather for an orientation and group dinner. After dinner, participants will work with the Outdoor Adventure Club Student Leaders to appropriately prep and pack for the trip.
- The group will depart Widener the following morning, Thursday, August 17, 2017, and return to campus Sunday, August 22, 2017. The trip will include backpacking and camping on various sections of the Appalachian Trail and canoeing through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.
- This trip is open to 18 first-year students and the cost is $150.
- To register, submit your payment online. The first 18 eligible students to pay will be this year's participants.
For additional information, contact AJ Whitlock, Student Leader: firstname.lastname@example.org