alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube


  • Music Office

    • Michaela Tauscher, Secretary
    • Kapelski Learning Center Music and Lecture Hall Wing
    • tel: 610-499-4339
  • Fine Arts

  • Athletic and Concert Bands

    • Iain Moyer, DMA, Director of Athletic Bands and Music Program Recruiter
    • Kapelski Learning Center Music and Lecture Hall Wing
    • tel: 610-499-1010

FAQs, Music

Find answers to frequently asked questions about music at Widener.

If you have additional questions, please contact us by phone or e-mail (see contact information on left) or schedule a visit.

Can I play/sing in more than one ensemble?

Definitely! Many of our students participate in multiple groups. For example, you may choose to be a member of the chorale as well as the wind ensemble.

Who can participate in these performing ensembles?

All students, regardless of academic major are eligible to participate in our ensembles. We ask that you audition so that we can place you in the appropriate group.

Can I take private lessons?

Yes. We offer private studio instruction in voice, piano, guitar, violin, viola, cello, bass, oboe, bassoon, flute, saxophone, clarinet, percussion, trumpet, and low brass.

Who teaches these lessons?

All our teachers are highly trained, professional musicians.

How often do the groups rehearse?

Most groups rehearse once a week for approximately 1 hour.

How often does pep band rehearse?

The pep band typically rehearses two times per week for 1 hour each rehearsal. The pep band will also meet for a 1-hour rehearsal on any football Saturday.

Will I have enough time to be in the pep band?

Many students who join the pep band find that they spent more time in rehearsals in their high school band than they do in college. If you could manage your schedule in high school and still participate in band, you will have no problem fitting band into your schedule at Widener.

How often do the groups perform?

The vocal and chamber groups perform each semester. The wind, percussion, and jazz ensembles usually offer a joint concert in the spring semester.

Where does the pep band perform?

During the fall semester, the pep band performs at all home regular season football games and home playoff games. At the request of the university,
the pep band may on occasion travel to an away game throughout the fall. The pep band will perform at numerous men’s and women’s basketball games throughout the spring semester and may accompany the team to tournament play.

Can I earn academic credit?

Yes. With the exception of the pep band, students who participate in the various ensembles earn academic credit.  In addition, you will also receive academic credit when you enroll in studio instruction.

Are there fees associated with membership?

No. All expenses (other than personal items, such as shoes and valve oil) are provided by Widener, including pep band performance apparel.

Do I have to supply my own instrument?

Widener University will supply percussion instruments, sousaphones, mellophones, and baritones. Members are expected to provide all other instruments. For woodwind players it is strongly recommended that you use a “marching instrument.” Wooden clarinets and conservatory model flutes and saxophones do not do well in extreme weather conditions.

What is the best part about being part of the music program at Widener?

You are part of a group of students who enjoy making music on a weekly basis to augment their rigorous academic pursuits.