Office of Student Life
- University Center,
- Lower Level
- tel: 610-499-4411
- fax: 610-499-1275
- Assistant Dean
- for Student Life
- Director of Student Organizations
- Director of Student Engagement
- Administrative Secretary
Sports, Greater Philadelphia
When it comes to sports, one thing is certain – few cities do it like Philly.
Yes, we realize our reputation precedes us. Philadelphia sports fans are boisterous and proud, despite the many years of rooting for the underdogs. Philadelphia sports teams have connected sports fans to both their city and to each other in a singularly Philly kind of way. It’s a wonder to behold, and even more fun to participate in.
The love of Philly sports has made its way to the hearts of sports film lovers with an impressive line-up including Rocky, Invincible, Silver Lining’s Playbook, The Wrestler, and even Best in Show – if competitive dog shows count.
Most of Philadelphia’s major sports teams play in the South Philadelphia Sports Complex, located a short distance away from Widener’s Main Campus alongside Interstate 95. If soccer’s your sport, then you’re in luck! The Philadelphia Union play at the Talen Energy Stadium in Chester, about a 10-minute drive from Old Main.
Major athletic events are held in Philadelphia every year including
- The Philadelphia International Cycling Classic bike race is held every spring.
- The Philadelphia Marathon and Broad Street Run are popular running events.
- Philadelphia hosts the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta, the largest intercollegiate rowing event in the country, as well as other boat races.
- For more than eighty years, Radnor Hunt Races has been entertaining horse racing fans.
- Athletes can swim, bike, and run the scenic Fairmount Park and historic city center in the Philadelphia Escape Triathalon.
- The Devon Horse Show has been around for more than one hundred years and is the largest multi-breed horse and carriage competition in the United States.
- Paddlers of all skill levels from near and far compete at the Philadelphia International Dragon Boat Festival.