Forms & Procedures

Driver's License and State ID

If you plan to drive in the U.S. you should get a driver's license in the state in which you live. The requirements for each state can vary, but generally you will need your immigration documents, proof of residence, a social security card or denial letter, and a letter from ISS. Pennsylvania also requires a physical health exam. The requirements for a state ID are the same, except for the physical exam. For more information on Driver's Licenses, consult the "Applying for a Driver's License handout" on the ISS committee page in Campus Cruiser under "Shared Files".

In addition to the documents above, you will need to take a written test and a road test in order to drive in the U.S. Review the Pennsylvania Driver's Manual or the manual for the state in which you live, before sitting for the exam.

Keep in mind that there are many rules around driving and owning a car, including the requirements to register your car and purchase car insurance, which can be very expensive. In other countries, these rules may be ignored or not exist at all; in the U.S. there are severe fines for violating these rules. Americans buy insurance and register their cars; you should too.

Inviting Friends or Family

Many students wish to invite friends and family for a short visit to the United States. The B-2 visitor visa is a good choice for visits of 6 months or fewer in duration or for family members who do not qualify for an F-2 dependent visa (such as parents, siblings, cousins, etc.). For more information about inviting friends or family, including a checklist of recommended items, consult the B-2 tourist visa handout in "Shared Files" on Campus Cruiser in the "International Student Services" Committee.


All students will be required to complete the 8843 form each year. Students who work in the U.S. will be required to file federal, state and usually local tax forms as well. Taxes are filed in April for the previous year. ISS will provide information on taxes starting in February. Failing to file your taxes, especially if you worked, can have serious consequences. Make sure to file on time.

Things to Do

Widener offers many student clubs, sporting events, community service opportunities, academic lectures, and other activities to keep you involved on campus and in our local community. For more information, visit the Campus Life page.

Also, ISS in conjunction with International Club provides many events throughout the semester. To make sure you don't miss an event, join International Club. You can join via Campus Cruiser by going to "All Clubs", clicking on International Club, the clicking on "Request to Join" in the upper right corner.